Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ae82 A/C

Featured Replies

Hi guys

 

I have an 87 AE82 rolla with a 4ac engine, it came with A/C when my parents bought it yearssssss back. My dad decided to get the airconditioning regassed (don't know why, it seemed to work perfectly) a couple of months back & around two weeks later it stopped working...

 

Whenever I switched on, the compressor/condensor would make an awful sound so I'm guessing that it is dead & obviously the cause of the A/C not working. Since then I have taken the belt off, just incase I ever feel the need to try it, switch it on causing something bad to happen...

 

Summer is coming up!

My question is, does anyone know of any sources for new/refurbished condensors?

If so, how much do they go for?

 

Cheers!

Edited by robax

It is the compressor, the condensor is the 'radiator' if you would.

 

One would think that the 82 a/c would only work with line pressure present (will have to look into it).

 

Did the A/C get a retro fit or is it still running R12?

 

You are better off just using a 2nd hand compressor as it is cheaper but bare in mind that shops won't do r12 filling so it will have to be converted to r134a.

  • Author

Do you have an estimate as to how much it would cost to get a new aftermarket compressor & conversion?

Do you have an estimate as to how much it would cost to get a new aftermarket compressor & conversion?

 

Priced it for a mates vn a while back (2 years) and was 1200 bucks.

 

EDIT: Maybe send Medicine_man a pm and ask what price he can get you a comp for.

Edited by Trev

  • Author

Alrighty, thanks for your help mate! :)

No prob.

I can confirm what Trev is saying. And he's spot on the money.

I replaced the A/C in my AE82 about 12 months ago. Total cost was just over $1200.

It was converted to R134A refrigerant. I got a genuine compressor for about $700 (there are cheaper aftermarket ones available, I think they start about $550) the rest was labor, various fittings, cleaning out the system.

Well worth it. My A/C system gets down to 2 degrees before switching off. Makes driving interesting when the windows are frosted over.

Edited by clubby2084

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.