Ke2X Diff Centers - Physical Difference?

phat_20

Hey Guys,

I've purchased a KE20 diff center to replace my existing locked diff for Rego. I noticed that the connection from the tail shaft uni-joint is a rectangle on my existing center and the new diff center is has a circle.

I'm assuming that one is a Jap center and the other is an aussie center. (I think rectangle flange is aussie and the circle one is jap).

After reading this I thought that the the Jap and Aussie diffs were interchangeable in each others housing.

I gave it a go but it seems like the assumed jap center wouldn't sit in the housing correctly. Its like its hitting a small lip inside the housing (siting out by about 5mm).

Has any one had this issue before?

Cheers for all the feedback in advance.

post-9445-000649700 1285485794_thumb.jpg

post-9445-025036200 1285485824_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Both are jap diffs. Aussie Borg Warner diffs are NOT front loaders, and have an inspection plate at the rear of the diff housing.

One would be an early 5.7" diff (std in jap-diffed ke1x and early ke2x)

The other a 6" centre, which was std in jap-diffed late ke2x through ke3x models.

The 5.7" and 6" refer to the ring gear diameter.

The pinion flange is different between the two, but the end piece of the driveshaft can be changed over with a new uni joint to suit.

I'm not sure why it won't fit in, maybe you are not holding your mouth right. :)

For the record my 5k ke15 has a ke35 6" 4.33:1 centre in it atm, used to run a ke36 6" 4.55:1 centre previously when I had a 4k.