K Series Efi Idea.

KE20rollabus

So Ive had a idea that may make me stick with my ke20 with a 4k. It is currently a very healthy engine with even compression, 5k electronic distributor, 3kbp head etc.

I'm thinking of making a custom inlet manifold for 4x individual throttle bodies,using one TPS sensor at the end of the throttle shaft, and 4x 300cc injectors. Instead of using a twin weber/dellorto manifold I'm thinking of fabricating my own inlet manifold flange and tig welding the runners, injector bungs and buying some throttle bodies.

whats sort of ecu would be compatible with this setup? I'm thinking a megasquirt may be on the cards???

planning to ditch the distributor, run individual coil packs and a crank angle sensor arrangement on the front crankshaft balancer, comprising of a pulse generator sensor and trigger wheel.

now my questions are to do with the crank angle sensor arrangement... if i machine a trigger wheel with a larger air gap for TDC no.1 how many other teeth do i need on the pulley to switch the coils? so if i had a larger air gap for TDC no.1 then the following teeth would be set up in the ecu as the firing order to switch the coils??

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

FYI - Leigh has a 4ke setup for sale in Launy at the moment. :wink:

Does the setup have to be 'dual pulse' or would you be happy with 'single pulse' triggering? If so you can just use your elec dizzy for an input trigger. Thats what I'm currently using in my setup.

Something else you might like to know is I actually have a custom dual pulse K series CAS that been made out of a K and aparently bluebird guts. So yeah remember crank triggering isn't just your only option.

As for the ECU, it doesn't really matter what it is as long as its aftermarket and tunable. Before you start any mapping you just configure the ECU for the setup you're running.

Restof your plans sound pretty good. :yes:

i really just wanted to do away with the distributor and use a single trigger crank angle sensor from a ford mondeo lol, only cos i got it for nothing off i engine i changed over at work. i have a electronic 5k distributor in it at the mooment i could use the signal from to go to the ecu, to pulse the injectors, and still retain the mechanical and vacuum advance with my current distributor? planning on running a under car surge tank with a vlt fuel pump.

Ok, let assume you're going to use an aftermarket ecu of some sort. It would be a good idea if you got a fuel AND ignition ecu, so if you have control of your timing via this you won't need vac advance.

You've got 2 main option. 1 - Single pulse triggering. You can do this with the elec dizzy, you get a pulse to the ecu that indicates when a piston is firing.... the ecu won't know which piston is firing mind you. For this reason you need to run banked injectors (all firing at once) and still use the dizzy cap to distrobute your spark.

Then you've got dual pulse tirggering - This uses the bigger notch, or a dual notch that you were talking about earlier to tell the ECU were TDC is and then at least another 3 notches to indicate the other pistons firing. Remember though if you use a crank trigger then you need to configure that in the ecu as the crank turns twice for every full rotation of the motor.