Ke70 Streeter Project

fkj

On tuesday I bought myself a gold XX ke70 for under a grand, interior was quite immaculate, but has problems with the engine running too hot, possibly head gasket or head, and some fairly big rust holes down under the boot.

Other then that, I was very satisfied, even the dash is almost perfect! one little crack.

Plan is to build it up, to an immaculate streeter, with a bit of a JDM feel, chrome bars, quad lights, carby 4age further down the track.

I know a thread is useless with out pics, but camera was dead, so this is all I have at the moment.

More photos to come of rust damage when my camera is working.

post-11874-027159900 1290160173_thumb.jpg

post-11874-042074400 1290160180_thumb.jpg

post-11874-071489200 1290160187_thumb.jpg

post-11874-015033100 1290160193_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

So today I set to the first bit of work on it, by draining the radiator and flushing everything out of it in hope that this was the cause of the overheating problem, although unfortunatley it doesnt seem this is so.

If anyone has any tips on what else could be the over heating problem, because I don't want to do the head yet unless I have too, that would be great.

After radiator was all good again, I set to cleaning the shit out of the engine bay, and went to town on it with degreaser and its looking absolutley stunning, that stuff is a lifesaver.

Also scrubbed everything off the battery terminals as it wasn't connecting brilliantly.

Next up:

• Identify source of overheat problem (it's only taking like 5 minutes of idling for it to be off the charts hot)
  • Register and get it on the road
  • Rust around boot lid

Further down the track:

• Major rust
  • Chrome bumpers
  • Quad Lights
  • New head
  • Exractors and Webber
  • ?????
  • Profit

Edited by fkj

Love the profit on the list :laff:

For the overheating problem is the engine actually getting hot or is the temperature gauge reading hot? I had a problem with the 7k in my KE55 at one point where the temperature sensor and gauge weren't compatible, so it would read really hot when it actually wasn't. Just a thought.

Love the profit on the list :laff:

For the overheating problem is the engine actually getting hot or is the temperature gauge reading hot? I had a problem with the 7k in my KE55 at one point where the temperature sensor and gauge weren't compatible, so it would read really hot when it actually wasn't. Just a thought.

Couldnt leave profit out :)

The thermostat goes, to the top, and the engine gets real f@$koff hot and struggles, so i'd say it isnt just the gauge cheers anyway though

maybe throw a thermostat into it and see if that changes anything!, next i'd suggest a temp sender, other than little things the head gasket is probably ya next thing to do, which in theory shouldn't be hard to do

I plan on pulling out the thermo next week after my exams and see whats going on, then probably chuck a new one in. Would you reccomend going an electronic one or a new one like the stocky?

For the head gasket to affect the temperature it must be letting compression into the waterways to blow the water out of the radiator, so you would have to top it up each day.

So check the head gasket before you pull the head off- best is leakdown test at a garage, next best is the ol' fill the rad up before you start it, leave the cap off and fire it up to idle while you look for bubbles coming out of the rad and pushing the water out. That also shows as it losing some water every day, but no more... maybe half a litre. It needs a thermostat in there for this work.

Take the pump off and check the condition of the impellor, and hose the block out while the pump is off.

Check the ignition timing and points gap just in case... retarded runs hot.

It may not be the head gasket, it might be rust & scale blocking holes and waterways in the head and block.