How Hard Is It To Do A Manual Conversion To A Ke55

f.i.t.

hey everyone I'm looking at making my car manual realy soon to my stock 4k auto ke55

buying a 4speed manual

tail sharlf

pedales

flywhell

center console

what eles do i need?????

how long will it take???

any hard part's? eg n cutting anythink... removing anythink from motor???

all help will be great

thankz soory about spelling

Edited by f.i.t.

Members dont see this ad

What does your mechanical knowledge extend to? Do you know what a spigot bearing is and where it is? (yes i know guys that read my replies i always bang on about that stupid bearing....)...anyway....if you could edit your original post to include what car this is happening to it helps quiet alot believe it or not.

If your doing it in a Ke30, you could probably do the conversion in an hour and a half other cars I wouldn't know and also when I did the conversion in my ke35 I had to fabricate a gearbox mount.

Lets see. You'll need the puddle box from the manual and the other stuff that you said about.

But i can't really understand why your wanting to swap from the trimatic to the aussie four speed. It'll have a real hell of a time behind the 308, if anything you'll be bettor off giving Dellows a call (02 9774 3873) and find out about the toyota 5 speed gearbox.

Anyways, the trimatic is vacuum operated on kickdown, that'll be on the carby.

Center console, i think the vk had the better looking console.

Oh, wait, your talking about a manual swap in the VAZ-2101, sorry buddy your on your own.

I had a bit of trouble understanding anything that you wrote, but saw that you read the unedited thread....

Could someone in admin clean this thread out , I mean we're corolla fans not f@$ken Duesenberg restorers..... Some people can't help with their spelling and when people first start in forums their going to forget certain pieces of information and not know what their talking about.

Edited by jono1986

Yes was a bit.

The vk ran the trimatic, it didn't use a computer for the auto. It was a vacuum and hydraulic job.

Since its now known what the car is, being a '55 its hard but it can done in swapping the trimatic (yes the '55 ran the trimatic as well) out for the k40.

Firstly have a search cause it has been covered.

A list of parts needed -

• center console
  • tail shaft
  • diff center (depended on how you want to drive the car. I'm running the auto diff, most times i can tool around town in 5th and it'll pull in that gear from 55)
  • speedo cable
  • clutch cable and the rubber bung thing that sits at the firewall the cable runs through.
  • manual cross member
  • auto cross member
  • You'll need to weld both cross members together (unless you get a custom one made up)
  • Find the vacuum hose that runs from the carby to the kick down solenoid on the auto and remove it. It'll make a good place to hook up a vacuum gauge.
  • In front of the shift lever there should be a 6-way wiring plug that'll need to be unplugged and a cross over wire placed in so that the car can be started.
  • You'll need to figure out where the reversing wires are so that the reversing switch on the gearbox can be hooked up. Might be in the engine bay around the brake master cylinder. I had to run it from that same 6-way plug.

So in the short and long of it, it can be done.

Make sure the k40 is from another ke55 cause if its from the ke70 you'll be another world again cause its cross member is different and welding both the manual and auto cross members together may not work as well.

But on that note the gear lever sits in a better spot (a couple of inches closer to the hand brake)

Edit - Forgot to add that if you run the auto diff the speedo will be out. From memory when i was in a 100 zone the speedo in mine was sitting around the 150 mark at 100. Around town at 60 the speedo reads just under 70.

Edited by towe001