Magnetic Vs Electronic Dizzy

Hi guys,

I've been running a magnetic dizzy off a 4K-U on my 5K for a while, which is hooked up to an MSD ignition control module. I also have an electronic dizzy which appears to be in very good condition.

Would I experience any gain if I wire up the electronic dizzy, or is my magnetic one better?

Thanks

Members dont see this ad

Okay, that's what I figured.

Not sure what model K motor the electronic dizzy is from, but my magnetic one requires an external ignitor (my MSD box). Guess I'll leave the magnetic one on then, and keep the electronic as a spare.

Thanks guys.

Hall effect makes a 5V square wave. Magnetic toyota pickups are a variable reluctance pickup and makes a low voltage AC spike.

All K electric dizzies (almost all toyotas for this matter) run magnetic pickups.

Yeh they're both hall effect (magnetic) just that the 5k is an internal igniter.

The biggest difference could be in the advance weights but that's about it.

5K advance curve is dud. the 4K will have more for sure. I'd honestly have a look into the jaycar kit. It'll even run on points and drive an electric coil.

Has anyone installed one of the "programmable ignition system" on their car, I've built one and tested it just not installed and run it.

AhA! When you do run it Jono can you post your results in this topic please-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/49425-modified-ignition-curves/page__pid__507575#entry507575

It will be interesting to see what happens with faster advance low down.

beerhead, Camerondownunder also remarked that the electronic dizzy was curved for a van, so it has no get up & go. In a topic late last year about electronic dizzys.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/49425-modified-ignition-curves/page__pid__507575#entry507575

beerhead, Camerondownunder also remarked that the electronic dizzy was curved for a van, so it has no get up & go. In a topic late last year about electronic dizzys.

Unfortunately I built mine for points pick up and I'll be running reluctor pickup when I get my 5k going in about 3 months :blinks:

Will sell my current one and build another one for reluctor pickup, soonish.

Hall effect makes a 5V square wave. Magnetic toyota pickups are a variable reluctance pickup and makes a low voltage AC spike.

All K electric dizzies (almost all toyotas for this matter) run magnetic pickups.

No kidding, sweet. That explains why they work with the older factory points tachos as per my query in This thread

Has anyone installed one of the "programmable ignition system" on their car, I've built one and tested it just not installed and run it.

Yeh I recall cam and tax talking about that, can't remember what thread it was in

I looked into a jay car kit years ago but couldn't find anyone who'd given good feedback on their results. I'm going to bring a programmable MSD back from the us at the end of the year though which will do all i need.