Tailgate Struts For Ke36 Panel Van

OPH13

hey guys the torsion bar(i think thats what its called!? the bar that goes between the roof and roof lining to hold the tailgate open) in my tailgate is F***ed. I'm looking at putting some struts in. any suggestions? or should i just get some made up? :hmm:

Members dont see this ad

Is it definitely a torsion bar? Because the earlier rolla's had coil tension springs.

It's a long thin bar from one side of the roof to the other. It clips into two U shaped plastic clips which are on the hinges. One of the hinges is snapped (was when I got the car) and the tailgate os lop-sided from attempting to fix it :-s

you should be able to get some struts to work, you'll have to watch a few things though;

make sure where you mount the struts is reinforced, weld in some plate if possible

make sure you use strong enough struts, struts are rated in newtons, the higher the newtons the stronger force the strut applies over its action

make sure you allow enough room between where you mount on the car and where you mount on the tailgate so that when shut the strut can collapse well, and that it reaches far enough to open the gate to a suitable height.

With some careful measurement you can make it work

Is it definitely a torsion bar? Because the earlier rolla's had coil tension springs.

Yep, definatly torsion. Seen boot springs on a KE30?

2 spring steel rods. secured at one end, the other is attached to the hinge on the other side.

Pics for reference.

open

04052011025.jpg

closed

04052011026.jpg

THATS IT!! :D but the small metal arm which holdens the bar, is badly bent on my passengers car and the plastic clips have gone brittle and fallen off. i figure it would just be easier to fit struts than search for the parts to fix it :blinks:

hey guys the torsion bar(i think thats what its called!? the bar that goes between the roof and roof lining to hold the tailgate open) in my tailgate is F***ed. I'm looking at putting some struts in. any suggestions? or should i just get some made up? :hmm:

Try mitsubishi colt or series 2 hyundai excel. they bolt to the frame and were a great replacement on my ke50 liftback.