Tuning Tips Wanted Please...

i have a 5k in my ke30.

just put a agressive cam, extractors and a 32/36 webber on it. electronic dizzy stock.

after muchagony getting it started (dizzy 180 out) it will only run when foot to floor and even then it will only go to just above idle and sounds like shit.

any tips on tuning carb and just tuning in general appreciated as I'm not that good at this..

cheers

zane

Members dont see this ad
One of the easiest mods for these cars is to change the carby!

A Weber 32/36 DGV is the most common aftermarket downdraft around. Usually you'll need to jet down a carburettor like this, unless someone has already done the work for you, or you have a fairly modified engine. For a 3K/4K, start at around:

130 mains

170 air jets

50 idle

and take it from there.

Basic tuning tips: If the car "stumbles" forward but revs eventually climb, you're running too rich. If the car just cuts and dies, you're running too lean.

:rolls:

have a good read of this

http://freespace.virgin.net/tommy.sandham/weber.htm

then when you understand how a carby works, read this

http://www.vw-resource.com/jets.html

btw theresz TONS of carby related topics up. just have a search thru em.

enough spoon feeding from me tonight

so it was the dizzy 180 out?

sounds like its running lean at idle, check for vacuum leaks - make sure all your vaccum hoses are connected first. Then start richening up your idle mixture.

yea got it going but now it will only go if foots to the floor. even then its just above 1000rpm.

keen to have a look for me?? ee what I'm doing wrong haha

recurve???

regraph.

The change of weights and springs inside, so the advance of the distributor matches that of the cam/engine. A large cam will change the timed function of the valves and there for change the required ignition time. Regraphing/recurving counters this.

a recurve wont help at idle though, where there is zero mechanical or vacuum advance. Static timing and idle mixtures should settle it down a bit. A recurve will definitely help with through the rev range tho.

Some of you blokes could be a little clearer with your advice.

Edited by xy500