4A-Gze Intercooler Location

Hey, i'm doing a 4A-GZE engine conversion into a KE70. And i'm wondering what locations the intercooler can be mounted. Preferably, I want something out of vision, but I hear if it's to close to the radiator is sucks in hot air and defeats the purpose of it.

Any insight, or pics would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by Madsnakes

Members dont see this ad

have a google mate, there are soooo many turbo ke70's around these days.

found this

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/14414-3sgte-KE70-For-Sale.

looks pretty reasonably stealth to me:

paint it black and knowone will notice anything.

though this one protrudes below the beaver panel a bit, be nice if it was mounted a bit higher perhaps.

P3060182.jpg

Edited by ke70dave

have a google mate, there are soooo many turbo ke70's around these days.

found this

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/14414-3sgte-KE70-For-Sale.

looks pretty reasonably stealth to me:

paint it black and knowone will notice anything.

though this one protrudes below the beaver panel a bit, be nice if it was mounted a bit higher perhaps.

P3060182.jpg

That's awesome. Perfect :D

Coz I have the GZE, does the intercooler need to be that big? Or could it be smaller. Coz some superchargers don't need as much cooling down like turbos.

Cheers.

care to elaborate?

turbocharger is driven by HOT exhaust gases, supercharger isn't. Also most people running superchargers don't seem to run anywhere near the boost that people with turbochargers do.

I know a lot of people with supercharger 4x4's and they don't run any intercooler! They keep telling me to just whack my gze in and forget about the intercooler but i don't know.

They do proper offroading too so the cars spend a fair bit of time stationary on the limiter and covered in mud lol and they don't seem to have problems, but the way I see it half the fun of having forced induction is having people go holy crap theres an intercooler on that car!!!

Edited by cerby

hmm i think you will find that the majority of heat generated is from pressurizing air, not weather it has exhaust gas flowing near it or not.

i was trying to find some real numbers to help my cause, and i found this:

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml

i put some numbers in, (1.8L engine, 16psi boost) and due to pressure change only, an increase of 158deg C in intake charge.

so that takes it from ambient (21deg) up to ~180degC.

agreed there will be slight difference between turbo and supercharger in terms of heat trasfer, but i dare say a supercharger prolly gets pretty hot as well, compressing air produces alot of heat as you can see.

remember that alot of factory cars came with no intercooler, the old "J pipe" working wonders. for simplicity its great, but yeah an intercooler will make a world of difference. depends if you need all that power, i guess the 4x4's may prefer simplcity over power, if the power without cooler is enough.

yeah i said that. don't you worry i actually passed thermodynamics lol

the 4x4 guys i'm talking about are running plenty of power and using all of it. Took my flatmates 4x4 to the engineer the other day and we took the 37s off and put nice legal 30s on and the damn thing was frying all four wheels off the lights and it was not even really on purpose hahaha the annoying thing is he gets off his defect for the modified engine cos 4.2 L turbos were a factory option, never mind they only produced one quarter of the power this motor is making. My 4ac to 4ag swap however holy crap that sort of madness needs a full engineering!!! 72kw atw makes it a public menace hahah, never mind the 300kw at all FOUR wheel 4x4!!!

it takes a fair bit of power to spin 4 x 37 inch mudders fast enough to get them to work properly :P

edit: i should mention that the turbo is running a bloody massive intercooler!! However a few of the other guys that drive the same tracks don't run them on their superchargers and they don't over heat

Edited by cerby

why not find a small AVO stage 1 core and mount it in the front gaurd? Or a stock r33 cooler or something and put it in the gaurd infront of the wheel.

Alternatively, I have a factory legnum intercooler, very stealth and a good size without being too large. $60 to your door :)