Corona Conversion

Free_Stee's

hey guys,

i have a 85 corona with a 2s-c and it now has a cracked head, so I'm looking at doing a engine conversion. i have a 85 celica off a mate with a 22re (auto tho), I'm thinking of putting that in but i have read that its not worth it, its easyer to just get a corona with one already in. i want to keep mine because its overrated with no rust and its the white SR model (getting harder to find). has anyone put a 22re in? what about a 3sge?

Members dont see this ad

if I am not mistaken you have a steel case Borg warner box. Now I don't know why but this is known for being a bit of a lemon of a gearbox. I would definetly not put a more powerfull engine behind it. Have a look theres a chance you can swap the whole crossmember over between your car and your buddies with the engine and all

Transplanting the driveline fron the rt142 Corona is fiddley as with any conversion.

I was reading a long time back elsewhere that the brake booster needs, or atleast master

cylinder needs to be replaced as the brake line pipes which route out of it and along the

firewall are different to those of a rt142 2.4 litre Corona, due to the inlet plenum being

in such close vicinity to the master cylinder and its lines.

Atleast with the rt142 parts car you'll get the disc brake rear end, is it solid axle or

irs? fuel tank with efi pump and associated lines. Its a lot of work, but if its a nice car

and a SR model which I fancy also then seriously consider it :y: :y: I'm sure theres more I

missed on but it'll give you an idea.

You would probably need to use the cross member from the RA65 also as that will have the right mounts for the 22RE.

The Carby to EFI issue will be your biggest concern. As you have a donor car there though the only thing you would require is the time and effort really.

If for whatever reason you feel you wish to sell the 22RE car let me know as I would be interested in it for parts for my 22RE Corona Wagon. :y: PM me if need be. I'm in SA also.