Red Racer, Ned Help With Valve Springs

71-BEETLE-SEDAN

Heater will stay for now.

I didn't do a compression test on it cause my testers at a mates house.

But instead of doing just tge head doing the whole motor. It'll cone out once tge heads off and sent away for skimming and porting and polishing.

Ordered new bearings pistons rings etc. Thinking about cams but not to sure yet. Also Gunna clean the bay up. Hide wires and seam weld.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. doing all this work may not fix your over heating problems, just be careful jumping the gun there mate. Especially with mildly built up motor you wont want to cook it now

So is this becoming a full time track car now, I thought it was a daily?

Edited by Subaru_kid

Not a track car, just that no one else is ever in the car with me. So if i am comfortable with it then its good.

I am thinking that a new alloy or at least new stock radiator, new hoses all round, new thermostat, new water pump, new coolant, extra thermos, relocated oil cooler, new gaskets all round. Should fix the issue. Mainly because well what else could cause the car to overheat?

This car has no air-con already, so at the moment air flow is front bar, oil cooler, radiator.

So after having to buy two more 10 mm sockets, because the four bolts that hold the valve covers on needed a deep socket, so bought one yesterday, got the cams out and then my 12 point wouldn't fit down to the head bolts, so now i got 3 ten mm sockets.

But its fair to say Ive definitely done the head-gasket on this thing.

tumblr_luu8n3Kifp1r5xf0to1_500.jpg

But on a good point picked up my new water pump, thermostat, timing belt, oil, filter, gearbox oil, new braided line for my oil cooler, catch can, thermos and some of the coolant hoses from auto pro.

Will get photos of that later.

• 2 weeks later...

okay all, so I'm up to doing the valve seals, how do i get the spring retainers etc back on?????

Ive tried everything possible. I don't wanna have to buy that tool that Ive found people say is useful. spring loaded or something.

Ive got the old ones off etc and now i need the new springs back in so i can get this thing done.

I'm after even just a picture of the way others have done it.

I'm at my wits end with this bit, everything else is easy as.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Already gots me self a 1971 beetle and a 1964 beetle.

If you all must know. It's a vs commodore ute. 3.8l, 5 speed manual. Hard top. Lowered. 20 inch rims. Tint. Exhaust. Intake.

Pretty much the cleanest vs I've ever seen. And I know it's a Holden etc etc. But they are a cool car. And I've already got plans for my next car. After that. And you'll all forgive me once you find out what It is.