Coilovers

KJ's Rollas

My mistake on the steering arm/steering knuckle front. I mistook the tie rods for steering arms in ke70 and ae86. :hammer: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Just went out and measured my stock ke55 struts, cross reference with the measurements on AJPS: http://www.ajps.com.au/parts/rca_ncrca.asp

Of course they are not steering knuckles although they share the same bolt spacing as they go between the strut and steering knuckle. "Fit early Toyota's Celica, corona and AE86 type struts (85mm)"

As you can see my stock ke55 struts are 85mm center to center; the rca's that are on ajps are also 85mm. Chillin has also confirmed that 86 struts do in fact bolt up to ke55 steering knuckles, and can also confirm ae86 struts bolt to ke70 steering knuckles. I can confirm that these ke55 struts bolt to a ke70 as well. Steering knuckles/arms whatever you call them do not need to be changed in order to fit ae86 coilovers into ke30-70 and ae71's.

If you require more proof then I will happily take the 86 struts from my brothers car on the weekend and measure them too.

I can also take a photo of some xt130 struts the bolt spacing for them is 87mm so you will have to change steering knuckle/arm to suit a ke or ae.

post-9001-0-13646000-1318326715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crowie55

Members dont see this ad

Thanks for that info,

The coilovers I am looking at getting are from a KE70, but not sure whether they originally were from an Ae86 and just fitted to a KE70 or not, but nevertheless, sounds like they will fit and I won't need the whole brake hub upgrade (which I don't need to do at this stage)

Also, will I still need to use my KE55 Camber tops (caus I would assume the camber tops that most coilovers come with would be different).

Cheers.

Thanks for that info,

The coilovers I am looking at getting are from a KE70, but not sure whether they originally were from an Ae86 and just fitted to a KE70 or not, but nevertheless, sounds like they will fit and I won't need the whole brake hub upgrade (which I don't need to do at this stage)

Also, will I still need to use my KE55 Camber tops (caus I would assume the camber tops that most coilovers come with would be different).

Cheers.

Correct, ke70 and ae86 camber tops/top hats are a different bolt pattern to your ke55 camber tops so you'll have to change them over. Good luck; I'm looking forward to seeing some updates on the ke50 soon.

Cheers, Crowie

fco_01.jpg

On the picture above, the length of the red threaded section is the amount of height adjustment you will have. Though it is not all usable; the amount you can adjust the height depends on the amount of travel the shock absorber has.

For example, if you were to install these in your car, and the springs compressed 50mm under the weight of the car, you just lost 50mm in which the suspension can compress before the shock bottoms out, but gained 50mm in which the suspension can extend before the shock absorber is at full extension.

Now if you can imagine the coilovers in the picture above but with a 50mm shorter spring due to the weight of the car, you would probably have the ability to lower the car(by the amount of threaded sleeve that is under the gold spring perch) by more than the distance the shock absorber can compress, and thus your suspension no longer has the ability to compress as the shock would be bottoming out.

I guess what I'm getting at here is, the more you lower the spring perch(to lower the car), the more suspension travel you lose in the way of compression. The more you raise the spring perch, the more suspension travel you lose in the way of extension. So the spring perch may offer a large range of height adjustment, but all that adjustment is no good if the shock absorber cannot function in parts of that range.

So the amount of adjustment you have will depend on how the coilovers were made: the length and travel of the shock absorber, where the threaded sleeve was welded onto the strut tube, the length and rate of the spring etc. It's hard to say without seeing the coilovers or knowing the dimensions. I'd estimate around 3 or 4 inches height adjustment that will still provide sufficient suspension travel??

Edit: does that even make sense? :blinks:

Edited by rianwest