Liam'S 1982 Ke70

wetweatherketo

Hello. Haven't really posted much on here, only in the wanting to buy section once or twice and thought it was about time to make a post about my rolla. I got my ke70 in January and it is my first car. Has a 5 speed gearbox conversion, painted black, chopped springs, rims and some drift pipes. I absolutely love it!!

Here is a picture of the night I bought it.

IMG_0219.jpg

Another picture back at home.

IMG_0900.jpg

Was all well an good untill about 4 weeks ago when I broke the rear main oil seal. So out came the motor and so did all the problems.

IMG_0826.jpg

I am lucky enough to have a brother as a mechanic (note: I'm a bit special when it comes to engines and all that stuff, but I'm slowly learning :D). So he thought while we had the motor out we should pull it completely apart and rebuild it, this was such a good idea as we found a fair bit wrong with it. The worst thing was all 4 pistons were cracked and even some of the skirts were completely snapped off. Other things like extractors, water pump and obviously the seals were no good so got me some new ones.

IMG_0823.jpg

After this my 4k went off to a reconditioning shop. Here they made me some pistons, 0.060" over size. Put new rings, bearings and thrust washer in it. Also ported the head and regrinded the valve seat. At the same time my cam got taken to Tighe Cams where they regrinded it to 276 0.40" lift.

Here is a photo of the head and the bottom end after coming back from the shop. Haven't even unwrapped the head yet :laff:

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Also in between all of this I got a webber. Pretty happy I swapped some old shitty bike for it and it had just been fully rebuilt.

IMG_0822.jpg

So at the moment I am waiting on my cam to be finished and then when I get it back I gotta put it all back together and get it all running smoothly. Than taking it to an exhuast shop and get a whole new one cause my one at the moment is absolutely shagged.

After this there is not much else I can do performance wise due to P plate restirctions. All I really want to do is get some different wheels and maybe lower it a little more.

Comments welcome and here are my two favourite photo's of the car.

tumblr_lqmvvgRfAK1qdkgvfo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lqmwy8hrTt1qdkgvfo1_500.jpg

Cheers Liam

Edited by wetweatherketo

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

nice first car man! lucky lad

She's gonna be a beast after the engine rebuild :)

people are asking a packet for Simmons wheels these days - but not necessarily getting them sold.

Your wheels look nice, good offset, bit of lip, about 15inch(?), good condition.

probably get about $600 for them - or might find someone that wants to do a swap with you

First cars are always a great way to learn more about mechanics and working on cars in general

Keep up the good work

Damo

Edited by WA_TRD_83

Thanks heaps for all the positive comments. So here is an update.

Put all the motor back together just got to put the carby and other stuff back on. Waiting to get some parts as I am replacing a lot of them, like the thermostat etc etc.

IMG_0847.jpg

Looking so much better than when it came out. When it come out the rocker cover was black from 30 years of muck and who knows what. Although after a can of degreaser and some autosol she is chrome again :dance: Once I put the engine back in, it will go off to the exhaust shop.

I'm hoping that it is all running soon as I am fanging to drive it and I as I am in grade 12, my last day of school is in two weeks so I want to have a bit of fun outside of school or at least just have one last cruise on over.

• 2 months later...