1963 Toyota Rt26 Tiara Ute

silverra23

Members dont see this ad

Thanks for all the thoughts people!

I too reckon 5R would be the go. Save a fair bit of mucking around as the 18R is moderately different.

I think there is a brake conversion early Crown guys do using early Hiace discs, we will have to look at that if we go down the "more power" route.

• 4 weeks later...

i have a 1962 toyopet stout and i have a timing chain version of the 5R and i agree on a 5R with a supercharger.

the 5R is a simple bolt in option and was an indestructible engine, the timing gear version had issue prone to failure but the only downfall of the timing chain version was vacuum leakage on cylinder four due to the brake booster and it's plumbing.

the 5R was also built to use sole LPG, needing no modification and has 8:1 compression ratio so is open to run some serious boost. with the research i have done, i do not doubt that a 5R could handle 3x the factory hp without any modification and the thought of an engine swap such as an 18R-C or 18R-G. they do not make any sense because the 5R had more hp factory than a 18R and was not far behind the 18R-G=(heaps of 5hit), the 5R is on par with a 22R-E, but looks the same as the tiara R engine.

my stout when i found it had a six cylinder holden engine in it, a very common conversion in the dyna and coaster and makes no sense to me. because i think the 5R was and still is a far better engine than a holden six (i have a 5R that has over 900,000kms on the clock and has only ever had a head gasket replaced).

my personal thought is a supercharged 5R, LPG gets around emission standards and to gain some serious power slip a turbo in the mix as well and a stock standard timing chain 5R would love it.....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update. I got the interior in and it looks farken awesome

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

I also fixed the floor so I could get a roadworthy, and it passed with flying colours yesterday. Off to vicroads next week and she will be fully registered again and then my brother can take her to Sydney.

• 2 weeks later...

So we have rego again! Happy days.

I have now been madly getting it prepped to go to the AOMC Classic Japanese car show this weekend.

Since it tried to overheat on me on the way to vicroads, I have whipped out the radiator for a reco. Sweating on that coming back.

In the meantime I have installed some "flapper" white walls, and re-installed the lowering blocks so its got its stance back. And wound down the front.

This picture is with whitewalls done and front wound down 8 turns on the torsion bars. It ended up needing another couple once the lowering blocks went in as they are monster 3 inch jobs!

shot_1329808771658.jpg

I will keep the finished product to myself until Sunday's reveal :)

• 3 months later...

Well she is finally on her way to Sydney today, thanks to a fellow toymodder who is towing her up.

She got a run at our Coffee & Donuts meet two weeks ago.. here is a pic of her when I parked up again.

IMG_20120520_114306.jpg

Looks cool as shit dumped into the weeds again!

I will try and get my brother to take her to Toyotafest so all you Sydneysiders can have a good look.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...