Making My Own Twin Drift Pipes

chrisfindlay

Ok so early this morning (Sneaky time when it was still dark) I drove to my local Exhaust Work Shop, walked around the back, opened the large bin to find a 6" long 3" diameter straight Exhaust Cutoff, and two 6" long 3" Diameter curved Exhaust Cutoff's.. And my plans are to make my own twin drift pipes..

My Ke70 is already running a 3" exhaust - Single pipe, but I want to cut it off about 8" from the rear of the car - Leaving me with a 3" exhaust running almost to the end of my keto without an exhaust tip..

I was wandering how I would go about making my own pipes though (How would I cut and weld them to fit)

My plan is just to cut the left curved pipe at roughly a 60 degree angle, going from the rear centre position of the pipe, across 60degrees to face the right hand pipe, which I would do the exact same cut to but on the opposite side, leaving the cuts facing each other, and leaving two 1.5' halfs at the end, and a full pipe at the beginning..

Then I want to weld the two cuts together, so that the pipes are joined leaving me with a 3" tip, running to two twin 3" pipes.. And then welding the single 3" end, to my 3" Straight pipe, and then my 3" straight pipe to my 3" cut off exhaust.

Looking something like this I guess....

post-14737-0-83861300-1327198474_thumb.jpg

Obviously there wouldnt be a gap in the end of the two pipes facing the exhaust, I just drew it like that, so you could see what my plan was for the angles...

Would this work? Has anyone done anything similar, and does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks.

Edited by chrisfindlay

Members dont see this ad

kids today - what was wrong with a single 3" droopy.....

Should work if you can seal up the join between the single and the twin pipes. I think that the two pipes,when joined together, wont be round. You may need some gentle hitting ;) to line both up.

In the past, we used an oxy and an old coat hanger as filler wire to weld our exhausts together.

Edited by coln72
  • Upvote 1

Should work if you can seal up the join between the single and the twin pipes. I think that the two pipes,when joined together, wont be round. You may need some gentle hitting ;) to line both up.

In the past, we used an oxy and an old coat hanger as filler wire to weld our exhausts together.

Awesome thanks heaps man :)

Wicked, the coat hanger is a great idea, didn't even think, i wondered how i could get silver filler wire, as ive only seen gold! Ill go back to my old high-school this week and see if they will let me use there oxy ;)

just go down to supercheap and buy the dual outlet stainless exhaust tip and use that to make the join. costs about $50 bucks and think it sleaves over the top of the 3" pipe. thats if you got stainless. mate did it on his skyline and it saves you having to cut things, just weld her up and listen to the db.

Yeah dude, completely...

Picked up a twin exhaust from supercheap today, 3" twins to a 3" single, its about 7" long, so now I will attatch my curved 3" pipes to the twin ends, and my straight pipe to the back..

why are u curvin them jus weld the adaptor on an angle, then put the drift pipes on