4Ac Gremlin'S.

Hillynath

The Ae71 is running superb and not giving me any hassles which is great :yes:

However I'm having a little trouble, (more of an annoyance really) when it come's to starting it. Cold, starts fine, hot also starts fine. If I get out of the car and leave it for a few minutes it's fine but if I leave it for 20 minute's or so it's a bastard to start. I have to hold my foot to the floor which seem's to get it to fire after maybe 6 second's of cranking.

If anyone could shed a little light on this that would be great.. I mean sure if it was hard to start all the time I'd have places to look, but its only once its hot and has been sitting for a short period of time...

Also while I'm here, can someone confirm that an Ae71 tank capacity is 50 litres?

Thanks

Nathan

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm afraid I've never had a 4A, but this

I have to hold my foot to the floor which seem's to get it to fire after maybe 6 second's of cranking.

sounds like classic flooding. Cold start sounds good.. What sort of choke has it got?? Automatic? One that works off water temp?

Maybe the choke is not going off completely..

Yeah it's an automatic choke. What it run's off I don't know..

If the choke was playing up, that would cause it to be hard to start whenever it's hot? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

But it's only after it's sat for a short amount of time.. Which lead's me to think about the first thing you said, about the fuel entering the intake manifold. :bash:

Is the choke controlled somewhat by vacuum?

Did some work on the 71 today and noticed a couple of strange Vac lines, 2 were plugged up with what looked like ball bearing's. Some sort of vacuum actuator on the driver's side of the carby, right down low, the underside has what looks like a vacuum fitting on it but not connected to a hose. Also another is just plugged off.

I'm going to leave my explanations at that until I get my camera sorted and get a couple of photo's as I know how hard this must be for someone to understand :lolcry:

Okay, Damn car.

It's playing trick's on me now.. When i start it cold it run's really rough for about 5 seconds, like it's on 2 cylinders. Also does it after the 6 second cranking trick which i explained higher up in the thread.

I took some photos of a couple of things which I was unsure about. I hope someone can shed some light on this for me, especially the short rough running.

Photo 1 -

Yellow - This line going to the Air cleaner housing was blocked with what seemed to be a rusty ball bearing. I cut it out and re attached.

Red - Does this spot require a vacuum line? as this is currently how it sits.

Green - An adjustment screw of some kind, completely undone so it is not doing anything at all.. Unsure on this or how it should be

Blue - Missing an adjustment screw?

Vaccolourssss.jpg

Photo 2

Red - A blocked off vacuum source?

Blue - Another blocked off source with what seems like another ball bearing.

I forgot to circle it but down by the fuel pump you can see 2 steel vacuum lines however 1 is missing a hose.....

vaccolours2.jpg

I really hope someone might be able to explain some of these things to me and maybe they have something to do with it running weirdly. The strange starting has only occured since I stuffed around with it :bash:

arrgh! You need a diagram of the vacuum/anti-pollution setup for that motor, and it would probably be a good idea to spend an hour at a wreckers with a camera and a notepad.

The only obvious one is the missing screw, that looks like it is the throttle 'hold-open' to raise the idle speed when cold.

Since I have owned it (around a month or so) I have been having dramas with overheating.. Only up big hills and on the highway. I never let it get hot enough to cause any damage.

When I got the car the water in it was terrible, worst I have ever seen. So I have no doubt that it had overheating issues in the past which have caused the gasket to go. In the time I have had it I have been losing very small amounts of water which maybe was being burnt up and not getting into the oil. Now the gasket has completely gone :(

Just put a brand new radiator in it a couple of days ago, and the coolant in it is still good. I'd be a little annoyed if I had to clean milky shit out of a new radiator :rolls:

Ill grab a vrs set and a few other bits and pieces to change over while I have the head off. May as well do the timing belt while I'm there.. Should be a good car for a while after this. Fingers crossed anyway.

The next photo is the exciting one! The one showing the gasket and the head...

So, valves ground too? The usual terrible list of things that "you might as well do this while you have it apart.." Cam sent off for a grind now its off the road, extractors bought before the manifold is needed, new timing belt...

I'm almost tempted to go and rip the head off it now as it's so darn close :yes: haha.

I'm only planning on having it off the road no longer than a week so there wont be any special mod's at the moment :(

However I do have a list of things, timing belt, gaskets, seals, bearings, vacuum hoses, blah blah blah the list is never ending :laff:

Do you or would anyone else who happen's to read this know how the waterpump housing is supposed to join via that small pipe to the upper radiator hose outlet on the head? as the piece i have was just smashed in there with some silicone around it. Is it all 1 piece or it's actually meant to be in 2 pieces.

(The housing between the pump and the block, you can see the hole directly under the in/outlet in the head)

Edited by Hillynath