The Magnificent Poo Brown Ke70.

ShowUsYourTints

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So being my cake day today, I decided that i'd rather not work, and go about fixing up the rig a bit instead.

It was in desperate need of a service, and was running rough. And looked a bit rough (in my opinion anyway)

So, having recieved a $100 Autobarn gift card this morning, it was off to the shop. Came back with

- Oil

- Oil Filter

- Air Filter

- Fuel Filter

- Sparg Plugs

- Coolant

- Thermostat

- Black Paint

- Sandpaper

First, I done the service. Stupidly easy to access these motors. 4 spark plugs up the top, and the oil filter right next to it.

Once the oil change and spark plugs were done, I quickly swapped the air filter over, and begun dismantling the car. I pulled of the rear bar as it had a ding in it, and was all faded, so i used the heatgun to pop the ding out, and then used a window tinting knife to cut small bits of flaking plastic off. Then took it outside and resprayed it.

The front bar I sprayed in place as it didn't need any "panelbeating" so I painted that, as well as the grill, wiper blades. rear plastic on C pillar and the headlight surrounds. Looks so much better now IMO. Also hooked up the speco gauge, and it works a treat.

Pics:

c4dec643.jpg

b2b4062b.jpg

dfa0adc9.jpg

cc21c1d6.jpg

Cheers,

Shazza

Good progress, is there any change in the running of the car since the service. I.e not overheating? How hard was it to remove the dent from the corner of the bumper, because from memory there is a 90 degree iron reinforcement inside which would make access difficult.

I replaced my rear bumper twice, because of this due to me finding a cleaner bar every time :laff:

Will you straighten out the passenger side corner of the front bar, looks a little further back into the parker light from a small bump. :hmm:

So are you going to keep the stripes and body moulds for a standard look, or remove them later on.

Regardless its going in the right direction and looking forward to more progress :y:

Good progress, is there any change in the running of the car since the service. I.e not overheating? How hard was it to remove the dent from the corner of the bumper, because from memory there is a 90 degree iron reinforcement inside which would make access difficult.

I replaced my rear bumper twice, because of this due to me finding a cleaner bar every time :laff:

Will you straighten out the passenger side corner of the front bar, looks a little further back into the parker light from a small bump. :hmm:

So are you going to keep the stripes and body moulds for a standard look, or remove them later on.

Regardless its going in the right direction and looking forward to more progress :y:

Hi Ben,

I've yet to do the collant. Looking at doing that today. Also got a new thermostat, so fingers crossed that should fix the overheating. As I said, it only really overheats when you're on a highway, but still something that will need attending too. The water in the radiatory is dirty brown, so it is in need of a good flush and replacing of the cooling components.

You're correct with the reinforcement. All I did however, was pull the black plastic off the rear reinforcement, leaving the 90 degree bracket you mentioned in place. It almost simply just unclips. Once that was off, it wasn't too difficult to get the shape back. A screwdriver handle is almost the exact angle of what the bar corner should be, so its simply heating it up from the inside to the point where it can be remoulded, and pushing the screwdriver into the corner until the deisred shape is achieved.

Yeah the front passenger side does look like its sitting a bit closer then the drivers, so will have a look into that shortly and see if there is an easy fix. With regards to the body moulds, i'm going to pull them off and paint them black, and put them back on. Worst case, if they look rubbish, i will remove them completley. I'm also thinking about giving it a paint job in a dark platinum silver color, but still undeicded yet. I will fit up all the suspension first, convert to 4AGE, then see what happens from there.

Cheers,

Shazza

Edited by ShowUsYourTints

Little bit more cleaning and shit this morning.

I attacked my AE86 steering arms with a bit of course sandpaper and a fresh coat of VHT Heat Proof Gloss Black. Claybarred the roof bonnet and boot. Then polished it with my orbital buff. Came out okayyyyyy, but I think its going to need a respray down the track. The paint has just seen 30 years of abuse so its almost beyond repair. Initial color thought is a deep vibrant silver, with a satin black bonnet and black fender mirrors.

Also razor bladed the wfront and back windscreens, then buffed the glass. Came out schmick. Few chips and stuff in the glass, but overall okay. Still has original glass in the windshield as there is a australian standards date sticker adhered under the glass.

Pics:

fe021ae6.jpg

fcb0b50a.jpg

3b3e58b2.jpg

Cheers,

Shazza

True once you do the thermostat, coolant and flush it a few times it should be fine. Being suc ha basic engine they respond quite quickly to that treatment. Wheres the needle sit on the gauge when your on the highway?

Ive attempted at removing the plastic cover of from the reinforcing and gave up! So just replaced two over the years. Regarding the mouldings there are two options, first one is "Forever Black" basically a black pigment dye which soaks into the plastic. I have used this and its good particularly after a few coats. The other option is Meguiars plastic restorer in a cream form I think, Ive seen it used on a faded louvre and it came up great. Could be a little more user friendly :)

Perhaps attempt at treating those moulds while their still on the car, pulling off will be messy and installing may be time consuming. If you do decide to remove them please let me know as I may be interested.

The paint came up great, whats its like under direct sunlight. Any thin spots along edges?

True once you do the thermostat, coolant and flush it a few times it should be fine. Being suc ha basic engine they respond quite quickly to that treatment. Wheres the needle sit on the gauge when your on the highway?

Ive attempted at removing the plastic cover of from the reinforcing and gave up! So just replaced two over the years. Regarding the mouldings there are two options, first one is "Forever Black" basically a black pigment dye which soaks into the plastic. I have used this and its good particularly after a few coats. The other option is Meguiars plastic restorer in a cream form I think, Ive seen it used on a faded louvre and it came up great. Could be a little more user friendly :)

Perhaps attempt at treating those moulds while their still on the car, pulling off will be messy and installing may be time consuming. If you do decide to remove them please let me know as I may be interested.

The paint came up great, whats its like under direct sunlight. Any thin spots along edges?

Hi Ben,

On the highway, if I'm sitting at 100km/h, it will sit between 3/4 and hot. Driving around town though, it won't go over halfway.

With regards to the moulding, I am going to go buy some of that Forever Black this week. I've seen it before, but couldn't remember the name of it, so cheers for that. I'll go over the rubbers on the car first, and if it doesnt come up how I'd like it too, I will remove them.

In direct sunlight, it isn't too bad. It is a little bit patchy in areas, which simply wouldn't buff out using the polishing compund I was using, but I think if I attacked it with a harsher cutting compound, it would prob come up okay. It isn't too bad around the edges. The claybar made short work of most of the grime and built up crap stuck to the paint.

Cheers,

Shazza

Hi Shazza,

3/4 does seem a little high, just a few good flushes and a thermostat should the trick :y:

Glad I prompted you about the Forever black, its a good product but you may

need to apply it a couple of times depending on the weathering of the rubbers.

The current aftermarket moulds I have on my ke70 which I'm replacing with your type

came up great with it but make sure you have a damp cloth so you wiper excess off the

paint.

Keen to see the finished product, but if you consider pulling the strips off let me know :y: For a 30 year old car the paint looks really good. Nearly two years ago I had a red

ae71, previous owner had it parked up outside for 12 months or so and it was weathered to the point that undercoat was bleeding through the high spots. With a good quality cutter though the car came out like a lolly and always attracted attention. So yours would be much better.

Whats next, just detail under the bonnet?

Hi Shazza,

3/4 does seem a little high, just a few good flushes and a thermostat should the trick :y:

Glad I prompted you about the Forever black, its a good product but you may

need to apply it a couple of times depending on the weathering of the rubbers.

The current aftermarket moulds I have on my ke70 which I'm replacing with your type

came up great with it but make sure you have a damp cloth so you wiper excess off the

paint.

Keen to see the finished product, but if you consider pulling the strips off let me know :y: For a 30 year old car the paint looks really good. Nearly two years ago I had a red

ae71, previous owner had it parked up outside for 12 months or so and it was weathered to the point that undercoat was bleeding through the high spots. With a good quality cutter though the car came out like a lolly and always attracted attention. So yours would be much better.

Whats next, just detail under the bonnet?

Hey Ben,

Next step is sanding back, and repainting all my suspension parts. So basically I have to strip and paint all the LCAs, Steering Arms, Struts, swaybars, etc. Now that I ordered my wheels yesterday, its coming to the tail end of the suspension conversion parts wise. Still trying to think up a color scheme, but at the moment I'm leaning towards a yellow and black undercarriage. Basically a major clean, degrease and paint for all the suspension, then once that's done, aligned, and the wheels are on, I will start on building a motor for it to go in in a few months time.

Few bits and pieces to do interior wise as well, namely chucking in my Alpine iPod deck, with some new speakers, wire in an amp for the 4 speakers. Going to head out to JustJap to suss out a hydro handbrake setup, but more then likely won't be doing that until after the conversion is done.

Cheers,

Shazza

Few more little bits and pieces today.

Flushed the cooling system yesterday. What looked like a caramal latte poured out of my radiator. Gave the radiator a huge high pressure flush, along with the motor. Filled it up with clean water, ran the car, dumped it again, and then filled up with coolant. Temp stays generally around 1/4 and 1/2 now. Replaced thermostat, wire brushed thermostat housing, new radiator cap, etc.

Wired in the front spotlights to find that one of them is blown. Luckily, you can pull it apart and replace the bulb with another, so I'll duck down next week and grab another.

Also started to refurbish all the second hand parts I got. They were filthy after almost 30years worth of grease and oil and crud. Gave the struts a clean, a wire brush then a sand, followed by lick of black, and the steering arms a nice silver. Going to paint the brake calipers silver too.

Pics:

Before:

3936ee9d.jpg

After:

1628270b.jpg

Wire wheeled halfway on the right.

cd7d06ec.jpg

00d3661a.jpg

Also replaced all the bolts with new bolts.

Cheers,

Shazza

New Corona lower control arms came yesterday. Corona on the left, AE86 on the right, for anyones comparison sake.

6faad6a3.jpg

Also, my wheels arrived. This is wrapped in a 185/55/15, which doesn't look any good IMO, so I've put in an order for some 185/45/15s instead. Failing that, I'll get some 165/50/15s. :) Thanks again to Dan and the team at CarModsAus.

5be3b34b.jpg

da212e61.jpg

This is what a 185/45/15 looks like an an 8" wheel., which is the look I'm going for kinda.

ad3e7011.jpg

Cheers,

Shazza

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose I should update this now.

All suspension is in and wheels are on.

Front Specs:

Rebuilt Koni Yellow shocks.

AJPS Springs

AE86 Struts

JustJap Adjustable Camber Tops

AE86 Power Steering Arms

AJPS Tie Rod Ends

XT130 LCAs

Toyota Tarago big single piston calipers on vented rotors.

Rear Setup:

Brand New Koni Reds

AU Falcon Springs

Modified Spring Seats

Wheels are 15x8 +0 with a Nankang NS2 185/45/15.

2.5 degrees negative camber on front. Rear guards only required a very small lip roll to fit, for those who are wondering how to fit 8" wide wheels. Albeit, my suspension is VERY stiff, so not alot of travel.

e54ffc2a.jpg

d6a89e33.jpg

eced0e83.jpg

Oh, windows have been tinted too (by myself) and Stanceworks sticker removed.

ff851058.jpg

Cheers,

Shazza

Edited by ShowUsYourTints