The Magnificent Poo Brown Ke70.

ShowUsYourTints

Such a tidy example! Wheel choice and stance is fantastic for this car!

Please don't paint the car a different colour, it looks fantastic in its original paint with the tints.

Still going to keep it NA?

Hi mate,

No intentions to paint the car a different color at this stage. The poo beige is actually growing on me.

I know this next bit may upset the purists a bit, but the current plan is to bang in a CA18DE, and strap a set of modified quad throttles and an EL exhaust manifold, with big lift cams.

Later down the track, if this isn't enough power, then I'll be strapping a SC14 to the side. If that still isn't enough, then i'll bin the extractors, and look into a twincharge setup.

Cheers,

Shazza

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know what does go well

a ca18de with all the turbo gear attached from a ca18det

the ca18de is higher compression and has different cams i belive.

we did this in a mates ae86 a few yrs ago, it was a rocket ship. the high compression is AWESOME with turbo.

just becareful as the ca's don't have a rev limiter. thats how we destroyed not 1, but 2 engines. both by big end failures, and the 2nd engine actually seized.

holy dooly we had fun doing it though.

you know what does go well

a ca18de with all the turbo gear attached from a ca18det

the ca18de is higher compression and has different cams i belive.

we did this in a mates ae86 a few yrs ago, it was a rocket ship. the high compression is AWESOME with turbo.

just becareful as the ca's don't have a rev limiter. thats how we destroyed not 1, but 2 engines. both by big end failures, and the 2nd engine actually seized.

holy dooly we had fun doing it though.

Interesting.

Did you just use standard CA18DE pistons, or go for something forged? I'd imagine a metal head gasket would be a must, along with an ARP stud kit to stop the head from lifting under high pressure due to the high comp. What management system did you use? DE injectors, or DET injectors?

Cheers,

Shazza

nope.

what we did.

bought CA18de with an auto gearbox.

bought blown up CA18det with a 5speed gearbox.

put everything from ca18det onto ca18de. inlet manifold,gearbox, injectors, loom, ecu, turbo, sump. anything that different on the turbo engine was transfered to the non turbo engine.

we had to do somethign funky with the oil feed for turbo, can't exactly recall, but you have to remember to put the proper sized restrictor in the line.

inserted ca18de +t into car.

Made our own intercooler pipes, and got a custom exhaust made up.

nope.

what we did.

bought CA18de with an auto gearbox.

bought blown up CA18det with a 5speed gearbox.

put everything from ca18det onto ca18de. inlet manifold,gearbox, injectors, loom, ecu, turbo, sump. anything that different on the turbo engine was transfered to the non turbo engine.

we had to do somethign funky with the oil feed for turbo, can't exactly recall, but you have to remember to put the proper sized restrictor in the line.

inserted ca18de +t into car.

Made our own intercooler pipes, and got a custom exhaust made up.

When you say "put everything from the DET onto the DE" does that include internals, or just bolt on stuff, without cracking the motor open?

With the restricter for the oil feed, I'm guessing it has something to do with an oil pump pumping all the oil out of the sump, into the head at high boost, and the drainage not being able to keep up? Its a common problem on RB26DETTs. Maybe the DE's oil pump has a higher flow then the turbo one?

Cheers,

Shazza

yep didnt open the motor.

nah the restricter thingis part of the OEM setup on the ca18det, but of course the ca18de doesnt have it.

its a port on the block, which i think had a bolt in it on the ca18de? can't recall. but you need to mimic the ca18det setup on the ca18de else you will over oil the turbo and destroy it.

sort of talked about here

http://forums.nicocl...or-t224772.html

also the issue you refer to, the oil not being able to drain from the head, is a different issue, and i think that is partly to blame for our 2 engines. i belive the solution is putting an oil drain in one of the cam covers, and drain it to the sump. very very simliar to what the smallport 4age has.

Edited by ke70dave

yep didnt open the motor.

nah the restricter thingis part of the OEM setup on the ca18det, but of course the ca18de doesnt have it.

its a port on the block, which i think had a bolt in it on the ca18de? can't recall. but you need to mimic the ca18det setup on the ca18de else you will over oil the turbo and destroy it.

sort of talked about here

http://forums.nicocl...or-t224772.html

also the issue you refer to, the oil not being able to drain from the head, is a different issue, and i think that is partly to blame for our 2 engines. i belive the solution is putting an oil drain in one of the cam covers, and drain it to the sump. very very simliar to what the smallport 4age has.

Ahh okay. Will have to find a workshop manual with a breakaway diagram of the motor and suss out what it is you're referring too. Thanks for the link by the way, it was most informative.

no dramas, yeah the conversion is quite well documented around.

the way to do it proeprly would get an aftermarket ecu to run it all, and make sure everything is safe.

but we got both engines for like 200bucks each or something complete, knowone wants n/a ca18's. and $400 is alot less than the price of an ecu!

and those 2 engines lasted about 6months each or so.

AND we both agree that with a rev limiter both engines could have lasted alot longer. with 185 tyres and drifting its very easy to rev it too far...

Edited by ke70dave

no dramas, yeah the conversion is quite well documented around.

the way to do it proeprly would get an aftermarket ecu to run it all, and make sure everything is safe.

but we got both engines for like 200bucks each or something complete, knowone wants n/a ca18's. and $400 is alot less than the price of an ecu!

and those 2 engines lasted about 6months each or so.

AND we both agree that with a rev limiter both engines could have lasted alot longer. with 185 tyres and drifting its very easy to rev it too far...

Might be worthwile having a look into the Jaycar Rev Limiter kit, that takes a signal from the RPM wire to the ECU, and can be set at a certain RPM to cut fuel and ignition. Great kits, they are.

Cheers,

Shazza

• 2 months later...

Big weekend of stuff.

Stripped the S13 over the weekend, and took the motor, gearbox, tailshaft, full loom, all sensors and stuff and the front seats out of it. Engine seems to be in good order, bar a few oil leaks. But that's cool, cause I'm going to change all of them while the motor is out. I also need to go through the standard S13 Loom, and find what wires I actually need to run the motor. My other thought, was just to purchase a haltech loom, without a plug, and just wire up the haltech loom as you normally would, but then splice it into the factory ECU pin outs. Then if later I decide to go haltech, I just buy a haltech connector and switch it across.

Next steps are to order my engine mounts off Kaizen Garage up north, and source a T series diff, bolt it all in, check the tailshaft length, and get one knocked up. Then run new high pressure fuel lines, with a surge tank setup, and battery relocated to boot, FMIC and exhaust done, and theoretically, should be boosting.

Pics:

c4ccc42d.jpg

d9079102.jpg

4bf5f4d1.jpg

4940b48c.jpg

f0b53e4d.jpg

7c2ef6de.jpg

f50d0869.jpg

8794dfa9.jpg

89a00eea.jpg

So in anticipation of fitting a new LSD soon, and while my mate has his welder out in the midst of a V6 Hilux conversion, I decided to weld my diff before the next eastern creek wetpan day, before the CA conversion.

a8c273d8.jpg

03ec76c2.jpg

08046506.jpg

Also replaced my castor rod bushes as they were fubared, and causing the car to veer right under heavy braking.

53782050.jpg

Gotta do all the suspension bushes soon too.

Engine mounts + gearbox crossmember purchased. Luckily for me, there is a joint in QLD that does kits to suit AE86 sprinter, which works out well because I have an AE86 crossmember at home.

b7adf6fb.jpg?t=1340678665

Surge Tank purchased. One on the left

!BT!IL,Q!mk~$(KGrHgoOKi0EjlLmWv+IBKGJVE,l1!~~_12.JPG

Lift Pump purchased.

$(KGrHqNHJDME7zrwQbIpBO-o75(vsQ~~60_12.JPG

2.5" Dump pipe purchased

$(KGrHqR,!mIE9JBsBfNPBPVql+1LNg~~60_12.JPG

Cheers,

Shazza