4K Engine Modifications.

Members dont see this ad
Redline make extractors or did, or might get some custom made up.

So extractors > reso > stainless steel into a stainless steal muffler 1 3/4 inch all the way through sound alright? I do like the twin muffler pig pipes, blah its hard going for sound over looks lol.

Right, as for the other stuff, so maybe a 275 cam grind? As for the the carbys, what would be the cheaper option?

@ altezzaclub thanks for helping me with this and also the others.

gt40 coil upgrade a decent mod?

10;1 compression fine?

Extractor are still being made brand-new, the blue 4-into-1 that end in a 2" pipe like mine appear for sale quite commonly. I don't remember who makes them.

Cams... you really need to drive a couple of guy's cars to see what cams are like. I listed the torquey cams when I was looking, as I wanted an easy daily-driver for the daughter. I've got the Crow 606 grind, a 270deg like Tighe's 113 grind, and I added Tighe's comments about their grinds. If you want to fly, there are lots of hot grinds I didn't list here, up around the 280-285deg. Find someone's build you like the look of and PM them for which cam they used.

I've never changed the coil, but I've fitted the electronic ignition which is definately better than the old points system. So a stock coil will pump 30,000volts OK, much better than its 13,000volt stock loading.

10:1 compression is fine, but don't use 91octane any more! That's about a 20thou skim, but you will need to measure combustion chamber volume on your motor.

Carbys.. cheapest is 32/36 Weber downdraught and an adapter kit. Better would be a single DCOE Weber 40, but you need a new manifold and the carb iself costs more.. you're likely looking at $500 there. Twin SUs are fine, but the Lynx manifold went out of production a few years ago. Occasionally they turn up on here for $300. The SU carbs are also on Minis and Volvos so their forums have them, but getting the Lynx manifold is the trick. I'd take the DCOE or the SUs over the 32/36 any day.

Start looking now, go back through the for sale ads and ask people if their SUs/Weber sold from last year sometime, chase the other Toyota sites too, put up wanted ads and see how you go in a few months. Lots of guys have carbs sitting on their garage shelves, I have a pair of SUs in bits and I know Rob has a pair on a manifold but he's never put them up for sale.

Here's extractors-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/59491-eoi-4kc-ready-webber-3236-and-extractors/page__pid__595892#entry595892

post-7544-0-90406000-1333842002_thumb.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub