4K Engine Modifications.

Just after a bit of power, and no nothing about these carby motors. I'll be getting a 2inch system with a single pig pipe, r31 diff, pacemaker extractors. Is there anything else? Any help or links would be greatful.

Thank you!

EDIT: Before you say just engine conversion, can't on P plates. This car is designed for stance and some power if i can get any lol.

Edited by Slysilvia

Members dont see this ad

Usual stuff, carbs and cam and a head skim. If the motor is worn bore it out to take 1500cc 5K pistons. Lighten the flywheel & balance all the rotating gear.

The 2" will be wasted on a stock motor.

I never touched the pistons, just did the rest. Works beautifully...

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/

Oh right, yeah i read through that topic, well skimmed thats some awesome work.

What sort of cabby work? Was going to get the flywheel done, maybe do the front conversion with LCA etc worth it?

I won't be doing any major work, I just need this to get by for 1 year and going from a modded SR20DE to a 4k will be a lot different haha.

As for the exhuast, why so? I figured anything about 2'' would be to big for the 1300cc motor.

Thanks.

Electronic dizzy burns clean, but the advance curve was too slow when I got it.

The inch & 3/4 exhaust works fine, I don't spend all my time at 7000rpm so I don't need a 2".

It all depends on what you want to spend on it. Carb is the expensive part if you don't use a Weber 32/36 so if you don't want to spend more than say $2grand you won't have side draughts. A single DCOE Weber would be good, but the down-draught will do the job until you getthe conversion done and it looks stock. EvanG modded the stock air cleaner to fit the Weber, no-one would ever know.

LCAs and rear sway were both good mods for what they cost.

I just want that lumpy idle, and maybe when its raiding @ Archy i can go a slide haha.

I found this = http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/K_Series/How_to_build_a_tough_K_motor

I'll spend tomorrow reading it and going from there, thanks for the info though.

I'll prob spend up to 2k on the Ke70, but putting aside some work mesiters 15x8 + 20 with some G-tek adj spacers and roll and pump the guards for the stance.

So what i'm thinking;

Electric dizzy

Hi power coils /w irrudim plugs ( still not sure if it will make a change due to being old motor? ) upgrading the coil to any recommended brands?

3k double row timing chain

Aftermarket pistons ( 4ks don't seem to hold that well )

Polish the rocker

32/36 webber ( heard both negative and positive so any feedback? )

pacemaker extractors /w 2inch stainless steel straight through to drift pipe

excedy HD clutch

lighten the flywheel

cam grind 260 deg

lifters faced

10;1 comp to suit bp 98, worth it?

I'm just going off what I;ve read that would have some benefit to my 4k, so feedback please and any help would be awesome, i'm learning about these engines, used to SR20's and RBs.

I read about balancing the rotating gear, i'm not going to spend all day above 7k, the only time i'tll be up there is wet track days when i can actually slide, apart from that i just want it to be a " phat lumpy idled ke70 "

Thanks.

I think most people poo poo the 32/36 because they stick it on their engine without any other mods. With everything else you have planned it should be fine.

And I would invest in a muffler or 2 on your exhaust if you want to be able to hear anything ever again, or buy a box of ear plugs.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

If you want a phat lumpy idle put a cam in it and be done.......

32/36's are great once jetted right

I don't believe pacemaker make extractors for the k motor

Exhaust you will need at a minimum of a 1.75" pipe and putting Afew high flow mufflers in there will save your ears and not sound like shit

What do you mean by jettered?

Much reading to be done...

the ratio of fuel to air is vital for burning petrol to get maximum power. Both fuel and air amounts are controlled by brass jets with holes drilled to an exact size. What jets suit one motor will not suit another motor, even in the same carb. So if you fit an aftermaket carb you usually have to change the jets to suit your engine.

260deg cam is quite mild, like mine, I'd expect you to have something wilder, up around 270-275deg. I had Crow grind mine, but there are plenty of other well-known grinders, and each company has a range of grinds for each motor. You can grind a cam for 280deg and drive it on the road, but 300deg cams are race use only.. More reading to be done!

You need a resonator under the passenger's seat, after the extractors. That's it, end of story.. you NEED a resonator under the passenger's seat, and a muffler at the end of the exhaust pipe.

32/36 is a downdraught so will always lose out to a DCOE as it has to turn the air through 90deg. Options are a single DCOE, twin DCOEs, twin SUs , quad carbs from a motobike. But 32/36 is cheap!

4K pistons will do what you want the car for.

Listen to ^our advice when it comes to the exhaust.

I didnt and regretted it.

I had a stock 4k, extractors, 2" pipe to hotdog to cannon and it was fun for a day.

Then the headaches started.

Got defected for the noise.

I put a sports exhaust on the end and it still sounded great but I could hear my stereo.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Redline make extractors or did, or might get some custom made up.

So extractors > reso > stainless steel into a stainless steal muffler 1 3/4 inch all the way through sound alright? I do like the twin muffler pig pipes, blah its hard going for sound over looks lol.

Right, as for the other stuff, so maybe a 275 cam grind? As for the the carbys, what would be the cheaper option?

@ altezzaclub thanks for helping me with this and also the others.

gt40 coil upgrade a decent mod?

10;1 compression fine?

So extractors > reso > stainless steel into a stainless steal muffler 1 3/4 inch all the way through sound alright? I do like the twin muffler pig pipes, blah its hard going for sound over looks lol.

I have extractors, to a muffler to a resonator over diff to twin hotdog pipes out the back of mine.

Do it right and it'll go better and sound better.

Mine is quiet (ish) to cruise (muffler + resonator) but when I give it guts it growls.

Post #114 bout half way down http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/56551-peanut-bait/page__st__105