My Corolla Wagon From An Island Far, Far Away!

JAY48

Hi,

I'm Jay from Sri Lanka and I'm the proud owner of a JDM Toyota Corolla DX Wagon (KE72V-1986). My father imported this with 40,000KMs in 1989 and it's been with us ever since. It now has 141,000KMs as it was used sparingly. It has now been entrusted to me as my father wanted to sell it to make space for a new Toyota (a crappy FWD 'Belta').

This KE72V is powered by the usual Toyota 4K, but mine says it's a 4K-J which I think is a JDM version. It's mated to a K40 4 speed manual as well. It's currently bone-stock but I find it's very efficient and might not do any performance mods. It even has the standard wheels with the wheel caps as well! Future plans for this include-

--Swapping the K40 with a K50 (if I can locate one locally for cheap)

--Upgrading the front suspension to have adjustable camber (is advantageous when adjusting wheel alignment, or so I was told)

--Fitting a AE86 cluster (no tachometer on this!)

--Lowering the ride height

--Finding a 'radiator cover'; my father says the original radiator cover was flicked at a repair a long time back and he wasn't interested in finding a replacement. However, one is required for the AC to work (currently no AC on this).

--Polishing the paint to a high lustre. I've already started on the rough spots.

Here are some photographs. I'll snap some more tomorrow.

DSC05032m.jpg

DSC05033m.jpg

DSC05091m.jpg

DSC05031m.jpg

DSC05030m.jpg

Some interesting facts I have gathered online- Lower spec AE86/85s (the lisse versions in particular) has a similar steering wheel and cluster. I measured the cluster on this and the dimensions are similar to an AE86 cluster so I'm thinking it might fit. I might be wrong though.

On another note, what is the exact Haynes manual for this particular model? The RWD Corolla ('79-'84) has no reference to KE70s or KE72s. I've seen a manual for the AU model KE70, is this what I require?

Best regards,

Jay.

Edited by JAY48

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Jay, that must be on of the latest model ke72 wagons to be produced judging by that front end! Looks great.

By radiator cover you mean the black plastic which surrounds the fan? If so its important to have that particularly if the car has a/c like yours.

Your wagon is one of the few to have a steering box set up, in Australia the sedan wagon and panelvan (Ke70 and Ae71) model code featured rack and pinion steering. The te72 (T-18) featured a steering box. I wouldnt get too carried away with fitting a ae86 dash cluster in, I believe they are a different size and the shaping of the lense wont fit flush with the rest of the surrounding assembly. You should be able to obtain one from a higher trim level ke70, ae71 or te72 which should plug straight in.

As for repair manuals, I can't see why one for an australian build ke70 (Gregorys publication) wouldnt work. Its mainly cosmetic differences anyway.

Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming :thumbsup:

Welcome Jay, that must be on of the latest model ke72 wagons to be produced judging by that front end! Looks great.

By radiator cover you mean the black plastic which surrounds the fan? If so its important to have that particularly if the car has a/c like yours.

Your wagon is one of the few to have a steering box set up, in Australia the sedan wagon and panelvan (Ke70 and Ae71) model code featured rack and pinion steering. The te72 (T-18) featured a steering box. I wouldnt get too carried away with fitting a ae86 dash cluster in, I believe they are a different size and the shaping of the lense wont fit flush with the rest of the surrounding assembly. You should be able to obtain one from a higher trim level ke70, ae71 or te72 which should plug straight in.

As for repair manuals, I can't see why one for an australian build ke70 (Gregorys publication) wouldnt work. Its mainly cosmetic differences anyway.

Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming :thumbsup:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, the radiator cover I was referring to is the black plastic that is supposed to surround the fan. Is there an alternative I can fit into this? (from another corolla, perhaps?) Parts for this have become rarer to source locally now, but strangely there are loads on our roads!

I'll snap some more interior shots and post here.

BTW, our other car is a Corolla CE106V but it's an auto :oops:

Welcome mate.great looking wagon.very jealous of your front grill,light setup.they are super rare in aus! If there are some for sale in sri lanka let me know!haha.

I would not change the cluster either.if u want a tacho,fit a small aftermarket one or source a dash cluster here from aust.they usually sell for 80$ and will bolt directly in.

5spd k50 would be a nice upgrade.also lowering it would be cool.get more pics up please :)

Edited by e70van

Welcome mate.great looking wagon.very jealous of your front grill,light setup.they are super rare in aus! If there are some for sale in sri lanka let me know!haha.

I would not change the cluster either.if u want a tacho,fit a small aftermarket one or source a dash cluster here from aust.they usually sell for 80$ and will bolt directly in.

5spd k50 would be a nice upgrade.also lowering it would be cool.get more pics up please :)

Looks the same as a DX cluster so an AE71 dash cluster will not bolt/plug right in.

EDIT: It'll bolt in but wont plug in.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Hi and thanks for the welcome! Your avatar looks alot like a KE72V, is it one? Parts are rare for these locally though which is a shame. I'll keep my eyes out for one.

I'll share some more pictures, just have to get my camera to cooperate!

Regards.

Here are some more photographs. My camera has decided to quit powering on (typical) so these were shot from a phone, hence the poor quality! I've almost completed wet sanding the driver's side surfaces and will tackle the opposite side next week. Then I've got to look around for a polishing machine to really bring out a glossy surface!

A quick question; how do you remove the "TOYOTA COROLLA" trim on the tailgate? (With the numberplate lamps) The black has faded along with the white letters so a respray is in order!

The rear

Corolla2.jpg

Newly restored wheel caps-

Corolla3.jpg

The "DX" sticker (survived two resprays!)

Corolla4.jpg

The steering wheel-

Corolla1.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to snap some photos of the inside once I get my camera fixed. The seats still have the white half-seat covers with the "C" mark and "Corolla" written on it. Unfortunately one headrest cover was misplaced years back.

I've acquired some magazine scans of a Japanese racer with a 4AGE KE70. He's managed to fit a AE86 cluster in the dash without any trimming! Of course, the scan is limited in terms of clarity. There's an identical KE72 wagon with a 4AGE that has the rare digital cluster installed, although the trim has been cut to fit it. I'll post these along once I locate them on my XE7X folder.

Regards.

Edited by JAY48

if you take the inner trim panel of the tailgate I think you will find some bolts that if you undo them that piece will come off..

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion, will try it out today. I finished wet sanding the complete right side and started work on the left rear quarter panel as well. Satisfied with the outcome, but I should polish it with a polishing wheel to get that beautiful lustre!

my avatar is a jdm ke72.deisel engine I think..?!

To get that peice off,remove the inner panel and there a 3 studs holding it on. 10mm size nuts. Unplug the wiring and it will come off as one.

Interesting your 4door model doesnt have a rear wiper arm on the tailgate..all four doors in aus had wiper blades on the back.the two doors did not.

my avatar is a jdm ke72.deisel engine I think..?!

To get that peice off,remove the inner panel and there a 3 studs holding it on. 10mm size nuts. Unplug the wiring and it will come off as one.

Interesting your 4door model doesnt have a rear wiper arm on the tailgate..all four doors in aus had wiper blades on the back.the two doors did not.

Hi,

I managed to remove the trim, but couldn't figure out how to remove the number plate wiring so left it at that. Will tackle it later on when my father's around!

This particular model is a "DX" so no rear wipers. the "GL" model had the rear wipers and better features. I've occasionally spotted "1.5 DX" models on our roads as well. This came with factory A/C though.

I've completed wet sanding the panels with the rough paint and I'm hoping to find a polishing wheel to complete the job by the end of this week.

EDIT: Managed to snap some photos today-

CorollaKE7210.jpg

CorollaKE723.jpg

CorollaKE722.jpg

Here's where the shifter is located. Are there K50s with different shifter locations? If so, what do I need?

CorollaKE729.jpg

CorollaKE724.jpg

CorollaKE728.jpg

Original half seat covers-

CorollaKE727.jpg

CorollaKE726.jpg

CorollaKE725.jpg

That's it for now, I'll share some more photos if I polish the paint this week.

Cheers!

Edited by JAY48

looks very clean. :)

K50 shifter is in the same position. just make sure your k50 is from a ke70. i think the older ke30-55s had the shifter in a different position, but don't quote me on the that!

those top seat covers are funny as. never seen them before..!

nice wagon.....the ke70 wagon is never produce in my country..indonesia ;'(

lucky you! i always dreaming to hve a ke70 wagon....but its very rare here :"(

Thanks! This & the previous model wagons (vans because they're primarily for commercial duties) are a dime & dozen here! My favourite has to be the KE72V panel van, there's a overrated one in Slate Grey but I doubt it is for sale :(

@e70van: thanks for that, will check it out when I've got the time. We haven't got 'wreckers' here, just parts so finding what I want is a bit tough. These half covers were originally installed but I've only seen a handful of cars with them still intact! I even had the original AM radio installed (not that it was of any use here in Sri Lanka!) but my father gave it away to a friend who was restoring a VW beetle. :oops:

Edited by JAY48