What 4Age Engine To Use?

Camo_love

Hello to all, about 18 monts ago i was given an AE71 Panel Van from a good friend of mine as he left for the AirForce. I drove it for about a year then took it off the road because of various mechanical issues. the last six months it's been sitting around and my extreme love for this car drove me to decide upon fixing her up. She's stripped at the moment and hopefully going into a panel shop in the near future to get some small rust issues sorted with.

The main decision i am having issues with is wether i should drop a 4AGE into my car or re condition my 4AC engine and do a little work on that, I'm leaning heavily towards the idea of a 4AGE. Next question is what 4AGE should i use, what will be the easiest to put in, with the least amount of work. Don't get me wrong i'm not being lazy but i'm very novice when it comes to automotive work. this being the first real mechanical endevour i've set upon.

So please, the question i need answered is:

What are my options when it comes to different 4AGE engines and what will be the easiest to put in?

Thankyou for all opinions

post-10856-0-70728500-1339899751_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

AE86 engine will aready be in RWD format, easy, bolt in.

AE82/92 is FWD will need to convert it to RWD

16V (big or small port) is a pretty easy FDW-RWD conversion, need remote thermostat housing and RWD plenum (or cut and shut the FWD plenum).

20V will need dizzy relocation also or firewall modification.

For the slight bit extra effort, smallport 16 valves are the go, you are more likely to find a bigport already in rwd format though not many around were originally rwd, someone has probably converted it from fwd at some stage. Rwd smallport's are around as well though.

20V's are more expensive and harder to convert to rwd, but probably worth it in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_engine - scroll down to 4AGE and read the facts, power outputs, differences between models etc!

Do you have people who can help? Do you want to learn to do this sort of thing?

Have you read up through some engine conversion ride threads to get a good idea of what is involved?

I don't really have anyone that knows what they're doing with these particular engines. would be good to find someone on here from adelaide that could be able to come give me some pointers but as for now i'm pretty much just going from what i've read on the net. i have read up multiple guides on here and various other sites including 4AGE into *E7* cars. learning a bit but i'm mainly worried about setting up the fuel pumps and changing the intake to suit RWD application.

I have a job that i'm not planning on losing. So technically i have endless money, just depends how long i feel like working on it.

I'm doing a full re spray aswell hoping to spend 10g over two years.

You could pay $10k to have someone do it all for you.

but i want to do it all myself (:

Well not all of it. i would like to do alot of it but i'll obviously need some help along the way. looking for someone in south of adelaide to give me a hand. but untill then i'll be winging it by myself, my best mate gives me a hand now and then but his knowlege isn't too much more advanced then mine.