Ke70 Starter Problem

rxsammy

Members dont see this ad

Pull it out and pull it apart. I've just done the Pintara one & it cost $12 for brushes and $40 for an end bush to be made up in brass and fitted in. They got cheapass in the '80s and just ran the starter shaft in the aluminium body at one end, so it slowly wore an oval sloppy hole.

If the teeth are ruined then start with your local wrecker and inspect any K starters he has, or check for recoe'd units at auto electricians.

Thats for the info altezzaclub, I did a bit of reading up and know a bit more about how starters work now. I'm heading interstate for a week so won't have a chance to look at it until I'm back. But will let you know how I go.

Also found this article online which has some good info on trouble-shooting the problem:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml#OtherOptions

It outlines adding a relay if I find the issue is in the wiring not the solenoid (like ke70dave mentioned). This article outlines that a bit more simply I think:

http://autofix.com.au/blog/fitting-an-auxiliary-starter-motor-relay

Cheers.

Edited by rxsammy

I had a similar problem, took it to the mechanic after being towed as it would not start at all.. all he did was sprayed degreeser I'm pretty sure it was and revved the shit out of it for a while and it came good.. Then the mechanic told me it was just dirt in my carby not allowing the fuel to get through.. every since shes been good !

• 2 weeks later...

Did some trouble shooting and it ended up being a problem in the starter. I took it out, got it reconditioned, popped it back in and started up fine. Wasn't as tricky as I thought getting it out from the top, even managed to do it with a couple of broken ribs :)

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I had a similar problem, took it to the mechanic after being towed as it would not start at all.. all he did was sprayed degreeser I'm pretty sure it was and revved the shit out of it for a while and it came good.. Then the mechanic told me it was just dirt in my carby not allowing the fuel to get through.. every since shes been good !

Sorry was meant to say sprayed degreeser in the carby .. Isn't a perfect start now but still starts every time

Thanks for your suggestion Kaylee23, but I'm pretty sure its an electrical problem of some sort. Car starts fine when I push start it.

hmmm... did anyone inspect the ring-gear teeth while the starter was out? A not-meshing problem?

Teeth look good, it's not a meshing problem I don't think because when it doesn't start the starter just doesn't do anything. Starter motor isn't spinning, solenoid isn't clicking, no noise at all.

I was going to try and trouble shoot it a bit this morning but the bloody thing started up perfectly! Now I've gotta wait for it to play up again so I can try and find the problem..

• Upvote 1

No not yet, that was my next point of call. Next time it's playing up I'll check if the starter turns if I put a jumper wire between the constant 12v and the starter terminal on the solenoid. It wasn't before I got the starter reco'd. If it does I'll try putting in a relay. If not, I'm not sure, maybe just take it to where I got the starter reco'd. I checked the starter solenoid wire with a multimeter and its getting 12.4v when I turn the ignition to start. I would have throught that would be enough, maybe amps are low tho. We'll see..

I don't think because when it doesn't start the starter just doesn't do anything. Starter motor isn't spinning, solenoid isn't clicking, no noise at all.

You're dead right. So it ocasionally doesn't power the solenoid, or you would hear it click. Dirty /corroded contact in the ignition barrel also..

altezzaclub I don't think it is the ignition barrel because the wire to the solenoid is getting power when I turn the ignition to start, and the dash lights dim etc. I'm really not sure what it could be now. I might just take it to a professional. I really doubt the relay solution will fix it as it seems to be getting power fine. I'll let you know how I go.

and the dash lights dim etc.

Hmm... that points to a solenoid that is drawing current but not working.

I'll check if the starter turns if I put a jumper wire between the constant 12v and the starter terminal on the solenoid.

That will confirm that the starter is OK. It will need to be a fat wire, the starter will draw a lot of current. I used to use a flatblade screwdriver, but that is hard on a KE.

Tell the guys who reconditioned it & see what they say. Maybe they did brushes and bearings in the starter and the solenoid checked out OK as it is dodgy some times & not others.