Car Stalls When Pressing Clutch

lokie168

Members dont see this ad

Richen the idle screw slightly. Headlights and clutch both load the motor and without a rich enough idle mixture it just dies.

The SUs are the same, I have them idling lean but then they struggle to idle with the headlights on at night and if it is at all cold it dies. Seeing I don't go out at night it doesn't worry me.

Clockwise for lean as I recall, out for rich.

Get the motor up for full operating temp, let it idle and listen to it under the bonnet. Then screw the ide mixture screw in 1/4 turn and see if it changes the idle speed. Then out 1/4turn to where it was, then out another 1/4 turn and see what it does.

What you're looking for is the fastest, smoothest idle speed you can get without touching the throttle stop screw. Usually as far in as it will go to give the fastest idle, then 1/4 turn out. That's because the falloff in speed is faster screwing in than out and easier to pick. Working in 1/4 turns is handy to count, or 1/2 turns, and enough to make a difference.

If you get lost with it, screw it gently in as far as it will go, then out one and a half turns, that's the usual starting point. After that just go in until it falters and back out until it falters, and then between those two points will be the best idle.

You can set the actual idle speed you want with the throttle stop screw afterwards.