Electrical Faults

Killar_of_giants

I have 2 problems that I need to sort out.

The first being when I start the car and put the lights on, the rear brake lights will pulse or randomly flicker for about 30 seconds or so when the brake pedal isnt pressed. After approx 30 seconds they stop flickering and the lights work as they should. What is buzzling me is why wouldnt this be a constant problem instead of disappearing after the 30 seconds which has me thinking its more then just a simple wiring fault.

Second problem is battery light comes on in the morning. Usually after a couple of minutes of driving, the battery lights goes off. The last week or so the light randomly comes on whilst driving to work. Usually the car sits in the sun when I'm at work and more often then not when I start the car after work, The battery light doesn't come on straight away but will randomly light on the drive home. I bought a new battery 2 weeks ago as the old one was on its way out. I bought the correct battery for my car which is a stock AE101. I'm thinking the alternator is dying.

Anyone experienced these faults before?

Members dont see this ad

Found this thread in regards to alternator faults

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/62424-ke55-battery-or-alternator/page__hl__%20alternator%20%20fault

Started the car today, no battery light.

before start battery read 12.86V

running battery read 14.36V

running alternator read 15.5V

engine off immediately battery read 13.75V

waited 15 minutes

before start battery read 13V

alternator before start 13V

start engine and waited 5 minutes

running battery read 14.3V

running alternator read 15.3V

Those voltages look good, but the red light means the alty isn't charging. It might be worth stripping the alty and check the brushes inside to see here is plenty of wear left on them.

The brake pedal switch is under the dash on the pedal, just make sure its not sticking, then check the resistance to earth from the brake bulbs. Weird lighting happenings are often related to some component that can't earth properly.

Thanks Altezza. Ill do what youve suggested tomorrow arvo.

Just been reading threw your ke70 thread. Reminded me of when I lived in a farmhouse out the back of Wangaratta on the dole. No winch, hardly any tools and I had to do engine swaps in a Laser and ke30. A fence, shitty jack, upside down wheely bin, a dozen bricks, 70mm x 3000mm galve pole, a large chain I found in a paddock and the misses. Those where fun times.