Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Exhaust Modifcations On Ae82 Hatch

Featured Replies

So I'm thinking of taking off the stock muffler at the point where is bolts on then replacing it with a straight peice of exhaust.

so my question is: Is there anything problems that would hurt the motor or the car?

 

Edit: 4 AC, 5 speed manual

Edited by brods

Need a like button on comments. ^^^ .. hahaha

If you love noise bolt on a straight pipe, Ive heard one in the past and it sounded okay. If you want to compromise

get a nice aftermarket muffler (not cannon) with a bit of exhaust pipe at the tail so it looks standard but sounds nice without

losing any more oomph. Without exhaust back pressure these motors wont like it.

So I'm thinking of taking off the stock muffler at the point where is bolts on then replacing it with a straight peice of exhaust.

so my question is: Is there anything problems that would hurt the motor or the car?

 

Edit: 4 AC, 5 speed manual

 

Nothing that will particularly hurt anything mechanical, but tinnitus can be a real bitch...

 

Having done this with a 2AC, I can tell you that you will find that a lot of low-rpm torque has gone missing & that even with a helmet on, it is annoyingly loud. I would not recommend doing this on a street-driven car, you're asking for a defect, or worse.

 

I don't want to sound harsh, but with a 4AC, there is no real benefit in doing this.

  • Author

i under stand that there is no benefit of this, the only reason would be to make it sound a but tougher from the what it is now

This is purely personal opinion, but: It doesn't sound tough, it sounds like a mouse farting inside a 44 gallon drum. A decent sports muffler (avoid 'cannon' types like the plague) will give decent note while not attracting negative attention (read: police) or killing your hearing.

i under stand that there is no benefit of this, the only reason would be to make it sound a but tougher from the what it is now

 

I cut the muffler off my 4K powered car thinking it would be awesome. How wrong I was...

 

Yes it will be louder, but there won't be a discernible exhaust note, It'll just be noise. Loud, loud noise. My ears used to hurt if I drove for any longer than 10 minutes.

 

 

I can tell you that you will find that a lot of low-rpm torque has gone missing & that even with a helmet on, it is annoyingly loud. I would not recommend doing this on a street-driven car, you're asking for a defect, or worse.

 

^^ I second this.

Edited by LongJohnSilver

i under stand that there is no benefit of this, the only reason would be to make it sound a but tougher from the what it is now

 

It wont sound tougher just louder. Put some headers on it with a proper full exhaust. That way it'll sound good and actually do something to improve performance.

I kinda did this to my AE102 for a laugh... left the exhaust unbolted and dangling. people got scared.... fun times.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.