Exhaust Modifcations On Ae82 Hatch

brods

So I'm thinking of taking off the stock muffler at the point where is bolts on then replacing it with a straight peice of exhaust.

so my question is: Is there anything problems that would hurt the motor or the car?

Edit: 4 AC, 5 speed manual

Edited by brods

Members dont see this ad

If you love noise bolt on a straight pipe, Ive heard one in the past and it sounded okay. If you want to compromise

get a nice aftermarket muffler (not cannon) with a bit of exhaust pipe at the tail so it looks standard but sounds nice without

losing any more oomph. Without exhaust back pressure these motors wont like it.

So I'm thinking of taking off the stock muffler at the point where is bolts on then replacing it with a straight peice of exhaust.

so my question is: Is there anything problems that would hurt the motor or the car?

Edit: 4 AC, 5 speed manual

Nothing that will particularly hurt anything mechanical, but tinnitus can be a real bitch...

Having done this with a 2AC, I can tell you that you will find that a lot of low-rpm torque has gone missing & that even with a helmet on, it is annoyingly loud. I would not recommend doing this on a street-driven car, you're asking for a defect, or worse.

I don't want to sound harsh, but with a 4AC, there is no real benefit in doing this.

This is purely personal opinion, but: It doesn't sound tough, it sounds like a mouse farting inside a 44 gallon drum. A decent sports muffler (avoid 'cannon' types like the plague) will give decent note while not attracting negative attention (read: police) or killing your hearing.

i under stand that there is no benefit of this, the only reason would be to make it sound a but tougher from the what it is now

I cut the muffler off my 4K powered car thinking it would be awesome. How wrong I was...

Yes it will be louder, but there won't be a discernible exhaust note, It'll just be noise. Loud, loud noise. My ears used to hurt if I drove for any longer than 10 minutes.

I can tell you that you will find that a lot of low-rpm torque has gone missing & that even with a helmet on, it is annoyingly loud. I would not recommend doing this on a street-driven car, you're asking for a defect, or worse.

^^ I second this.

Edited by LongJohnSilver

i under stand that there is no benefit of this, the only reason would be to make it sound a but tougher from the what it is now

It wont sound tougher just louder. Put some headers on it with a proper full exhaust. That way it'll sound good and actually do something to improve performance.