Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coils

Featured Replies

HI everyone, i was bored that other night so i started researching coils and read a few diffenet things. Currently my car (4ac powered) has a Bosch GT40 coil in it. I've read around that this coil is suitable for cars with electronic ignition, something my car doesnt have and that a GT40R is a better coil for the job. Recently i've had a few issues with my car that may be ignition related. So i guess i have two questions. 1. What is the difference between the two coils, 2, Which coil should i have on my car. thanks guys

Some electronic distributors use ballast resistors as well. To prolong the life of the ignition leads.

  • Author

GT40 - Electronic Ignition

GT40R - Use with ballast resistor (To stop the points burning out)

 

Thanks, car has a GT40 in it now so ill chuck a GT40R in it and see what difference it make. Will probably change the points while I'm at it.

 

Some electronic distributors use ballast resistors as well. To prolong the life of the ignition leads.

 

I have looked around the internet at pictures of ae71's and other 4AC powered cars. The coil setup on all these cars incorporates a the ballast resistor. I have noticed that the setup on my car is different. As it is a ke70 it didn't come out with a 4AC so who ever did the conversion had different ideas with the coil setup. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about. Although the setup doesn't have a ballast resistor, it seems like the system incorporates two separate condensers.

  • Author

Here is the setup on my car.

 

IMG_8351_zps1daa67d0.jpg

 

As stated it has a GT40 coil, and no ballast resistor to speak of. If lack of this resistor causes the points to burn out, I think I might get new points. Would it be safe to put a GT40R coil in instead?

Edited by Willacy70

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.