Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sticky Gear Changes.

Featured Replies

Hey fellas,

 

I have an AE 93 I think it is. 94 with 1.6 carby and 5 speed.

When I change gears, the shifter sticks a bit, then releases. I'm not sure where to start. Maybe a bit of sticky oil on the plates, or something else?

Doesnt shake on reverse, and its done 317km.

Like -if you wanted to do a fast change- well- you have to wait until your allowed. Usually 1 second tops, but I can't race SS Commodores like that. (kidding).

 

Mark :)

I had an issue once where it'd be a pain trying to select, or change from first gear. The issue was put down to a stuffed clutch (the disc had shattered). Changed to a new clutch, problem solved...

Any idea what grade of transmission fluid the gearbox currently has in it? I believe an 80w-90w is specified for these gearboxes, but changing to a 75w-90w may help things. The fluid level when full should be even with the bottom of the filler hole when on a level surface.

 

Another cheap/easy thing to check is between the top of the gearbox & the firewall, you'll see where the shifter cables attach to the gear selector arms. These have rubber bushes in their ends & they could be shagged, giving you a sketchy shift. An easy replacement for these rubber bushes are skateboard/roller blade bearings (yes, I'm serious) as they're cheap as chips, just check diameters etc to make sure you get the correct size.

 

post-5437-0-34029400-1356870923_thumb.jpg

Edited by carbonboy

  • Author

Thanks fellas,

I was looking at the selectors yesterday. They do look complicated. Thats a good idea about skateboard bearings! Have a good look next week.I will change the gearbox oil too.Next week:)

 

 

Mark

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.