Ae82 Electrical Issues - Fuel And Temp Problems

mlaser

Hey All

After having my ke25 written off by an old lady i picked up a AE82 Sedan for 1000 bucks and have found that it has 2 annoying electrical faults that i want to fix and need to know if i can fix the current setup or need to replace them.

1) Fuel Gauge - Basically the fuel gauge will go straight to full when car is filled up with fuel and then after a doing some K's say 100 or so it will go down to 3/4 full and from there it won't move at all and will occasionally have the fuel light come on despite only using around 1/2 a tank (i go by k's to work out when it needs fuel). So anyone got any idea what the problem may be?

2) Temp Gauge - Basically all the temp gauge does is once the car is turned on it goes straight past red to maximum deflection. Once again anyone go any idea what the problem may be and would it be best just to replace the temp gauge with an aftermarket one. I'm more concerned with the temp gauge as it's an old car and i'd prefer to know when/if the engine is gonna blow :P

Cheers for any help

Mark

Members dont see this ad

As for your fuel gauge mate I'm not sure as i havnt had to touch mine, if its bothering you a bit just to let you know that the 4A-C engine (not twincam) will do a minimum of 400ks to a tank just to keep you safe.

And with your temp gauge it sounds like it could be wire has come off or its the sender itself, The temp sender is at the front of the engine on the left hand side above the dipstick make sure the wire is attached.

yeah. i have an ae82 4ac as well and i find i generally get between 400 and 440 (normally around 420 - 450)

i bought mine for $1400, and only have found one problem with it so far, and thats that the high beams don't stay on...

yeah. i have an ae82 4ac as well and i find i generally get between 400 and 440 (normally around 420 - 450)

i bought mine for $1400, and only have found one problem with it so far, and thats that the high beams don't stay on...

is that when you turn your indicators off, is yours a manual or auto

I RAN OUT OF FUEL hehehe 366k's but i that was based on the theory that the previous owner filled it to the brim, ive got a 5ltr jerry can in the boot so ill see if it makes it to 400 this time hehe.

What were you doin wrong, how far do you fill it

i don't think i did anything wrong, when i got the car it had 150k's on it (got it a week or so ago) so i figured the guy had filled up the tank and had done 150k's and was going to fill up at aronud 400k's like people had suggested and the guy i bought it off also said he fills up at around 400k's. I haven't been driving it hard or anything as i want the thing to last so was surprised when i started to cough and splutter and eventually stop on the side of the road at 366k's. Didn't have to walk to far to get to the fuel station so it was no biggy. Ill fill up at 350 this time and see how much fuel it takes.

Oh ok maybe he didnt fill it all the way, its hard to only get that amount of k's from a full tank with it running out of fuel, i run mine right into the empty bit sometimes and get an extra 20k under the line so i think he mighta gave u a 3/4 tank.