Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1978 Ke30 Autocross/rallycross Project

Featured Replies

So I've been lurking around for awhile on this forum both before I purchased this KE30, back when I had a Datsun 210, and snagged a new project off of Craigslist in Oklahoma, USA a few weeks ago for $500USD. In reality I traded some other car parts and didn't have to pay anything for this new toy.

 

20140420_124745_zpse02a0adb.jpg

 

After dragging it home I found that the cylinders were stuck and began trying a few different things, Marvel Mystery Oil and other oil products. However, after that didn't work I decided to pull the head to get a better look. After pulling it off and seeing that some condensation had gotten into one of they cylinders causing some rust I decided to try a different product we have in the US, Evaporust. This is a completely non-toxic formula that converts rust and leaves the metal almost raw and brand new. After about 24 hours of this soaking in the cylinders this thing popped loose with a regular wrench and didn't even need a breaker bar.

 

However, since I had already pulled the head and needed a new headgasket I decided to do a complete cleanup and refresh. Below are a few before pictures and in progress pictures. I should have the "finished" engine and transmission done this weekend.

 

Look forward to diving in and learning a lot more about these cars as you guys on the other side of the planet seem to have it all figured out.

 

20140420_143641_zps945cfcfa.jpg

20140420_143656_zps251f9b01.jpg

20140420_143703_zps29465237.jpg

20140420_143717_zpsac6b70ee.jpg

20140420_143758_zpsacc54915.jpg

20140420_144135_zpsc4af35d4.jpg

20140426_185341_zps5dfd35c8.jpg

20140426_191415_zpse0324bd4.jpg

 

The paint scheme for the engine bay is VHT Golden Flake and Wrinkle Black with a little cast iron silver.

 

20140428_181555_zpsc823d3e2.jpg

20140502_112518_zps373fec08.jpg

20140502_164049_zpsced83b77.jpg

20140502_164120_zpsf2f972e2.jpg

20140504_202309_zpsa6c1d790.jpg

20140504_202309_zps4497e3ed.jpg

20140502_112544_zps1fb4f1a8.jpg

Great pick up there mate! Body looks to be in pretty good shape, doesn't look like much rust at all, will be watching!

 

cheers!

  • Author

Well, I finally wrapped up the engine, just need to get it down on the wooden "run stand" and let it idle for awhile to check for leaks and set the timing.

 

Now I just have to clean out the 30+ years of gunk out of the engine bay....

 

Before:

 

20140423_153146_zpsf3befea6.jpg

20140423_153133_zpsaf14059f.jpg

 

After:

20140509_182459_RichtoneHDR_zps4a22acb2.jpg

20140509_182438_RichtoneHDR_zps53bbaa99.jpg

20140509_182424_RichtoneHDR_zps7ac165b2.jpg

20140509_182332_RichtoneHDR_zpsf538a44a.jpg

20140509_182314_RichtoneHDR_zpsbba1d61c.jpg

20140509_182247_zps4ed6ecc6.jpg

20140509_182237_zpsbab233ce.jpg

Edited by zsteelman

Wow, nice work on the engine. The paint reminds me of some vintage race motorcycles. Good luck with your new project. Glad to see another from the states.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Well I haven't had a chance to update in awhile as it has been slow around here. I did finish up the engine other than a few holes that need to be plugged from removing all the emissions items. I am also building an engine run stand so that I can test the motor and transmission outside of the car.

 

More recently I snagged a new set of seats from the salvage yard out of a hyundai tiburon for 55$ in amazing condition. Great bolsters, lumbar support, and leg adjustments.

post-20606-0-31024500-1401679027_thumb.jpg

post-20606-0-34386400-1401679030_thumb.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.