Dry Cell Battery

THR

Hi all,

I'm wanting to install a dry cell/AGM battery in my ae102 rally machine, but I'm not exactly sure which one to get.

I've heard that Odessey batteries are the go, but I thought I'd ask for some expertise first.

Any recommendations as to what I should be purchasing and where I should be be getting one from?

Members dont see this ad

I used a Fullriver HC28 which is the same form factor as the Odyssey PC925 but costs half as much. Pretty happy so far!

weighs 10.7kg, 410 CCA,

I found an awesome powdercoated metal battery box for it made by an aussie bloke. The bloke working on my car was extremely impressed with the quality of it and ease of mounting in the engine bay. Can't remember where I got it but I might be able to dig it up

This is the battery: http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/22716/hc28-(fullriver).html

Thanks for the heads up! Fullriver seems like a good unit!

Just wondering what the dimensions of the battery box are? The mounting point behind the navigators seat is a bit light on for space and your box sounds like it could do the job?

I used a Dekka battery, marine battery meant to be for Jet Ski's and the sort, so they can take a pounding. The only drama with them is the terminal posts are no designed for cars, so making the leads fit is a bit of an issue. Heard of issues with the Odessey batteries, so I'd avoid them. There's also the new Lithium batteries out, lighter than my Dekka and still packing a good punch. I've seen Braille (sp?) used, but don't know of any that have been in use for a while to be able to comment on their reliability/suitability.

Worth noting, if you're building your rally car to CAMS PRC rules, the battery will need to be mounted in a Plastic leak proof box, with a vent to the outside of the vehicle. Some scruitineers have let the dry cell batteries pass, but there is still the chance of the alternator going beserk and over charging the battery, in which case they will 'vent' into the cabin. And at this stage the rules make no exceptions for 'Dry' batteries.

If you consider the weight of the latest Lithium batteries and then the weight of all the cable that you have to run thru the car, unless you've got a real space issue in the engine bay, standard battery location is probably not a bad place to have it.

Hey Mika, hadn't thought of the marine battery option. Sounds like it could be a good option. As for the CAMS regs, yeah I can see why scrutineers might give an internally mounted dry cell battery the thumbs down - there is no distinction between different types of batteries in the regs. But thanks for the heads up!

And Max, cheers for the call about the heat issue. My thought was to have the battery mounted inside a plastic leak-proof battery box. I was thinking of insulating it. I'd read somewhere that AGM/dry cells don't take kindly to too much heat.