Rejetting Aiisin Vs Weber

peterd

I've got an auto ke35 with a 4k. (gm trimatic) It was running fine when I got it but I thought that a weber might give it a bit of extra go. The standard carb on it obviously hadn't been touched for a long time, judging by the amount of gunk stuck to it.

I spoke to an old school mechanic who's been playing with corollas since they were invented and was told that I could get the same gain that I'd get from a weber by rejetting the aiisin, running on 95 octane, advancing the timing and replacing the air cleaner with an open style chrome housing.

I took the car to an old school mechanic who specializes in carbs and was told much the same. He said that a weber would actually make the car slower because it was an auto and doesn't get enough revs. I had the carb rebuilt and rejetted. The car accelerates well now, easily keeping up with city traffic.

Rejetting the carb doesn't cost much but the rebuild made the cost about the same as a downdraft weber.

I can't find much info on rejetting aiisins and was wondering if anyone has tried this and how it compares to changing to a weber.

The only other 4k I've driven was a 3k ke35 with a 2 speed toyoglide and it was bloody scary watching the traffic come up behind me while I was trying to get the car to 60kmh.

Members dont see this ad

Jets aren't available for Aisan carbs. You can either pilfer jets from other carburettors or redrill the standard ones.

If you haven't modified the engine there'd be no need to reject the standard carb. A rebuild kit would be ideal.

The 32/36 weber will run on engines between 1L & 2.6L. Efficiency could be questioned.

For about 60 coins you could rebuild your Aisan and learn much while doing it yourself.

I just rebuilt my twin Asians a rebuild kit cost me 42$ so I Just figured why not get three and have a spare but yeah there really is nothing to this carbs just mind the under the top cover there's a little ball and weight in it and under your float there's a weight a tiny spring and some sort of hammer thing on top so just take photos of the dismantling as you go along to make sure you don't forget and tip it upside down into a bucket as to not lose anything