Fuel Pump Controller/safety Switches.

Mechanical Sympathy

I'm gradually converting a KE55 to run a 2TGEU engine with twin Solex carburettors.

The 2TGEU does not come with a mechanical fuel pump though I imagine a 2T one would do. But I'm planning to drill a crankcase breather/baffle for the PCV system through the mechanical pump block off plate as the 2TGEU block is blanked off where the 2TG crankcase breather would sit.

So I expect to use an inexpensive Facet style low pressure electric fuel pump and have been looking into fuel cutoff safety switch options and there would appear to be (at least) three different types. Which type have people had experience with and recommend?

- An oil pressure switch turns off the fuel pump when the engine's oil pressure drops, but can be wired to prime the pump when the key turns to the START position.

- A tachometer/coil triggered controller that kills the pump when there is no tach signal, but a microprocessor primes the pump for three seconds when the key is turned to IGN. Do LPG systems use a similar setup?

- An inertia activated cutoff switch that disconnects the power to the pump with a big enough tap (not recommended for rallying!).

- A combination of two or more types of safety switch.

- Stick with a mechanical pump..

I'm curious to know what do others use?

Members dont see this ad

I can hear that there is one operating in my Echo - buggered if I know where to find it! I assumed it was driven by the ECU.

Edit: there is indeed a $5 relay that actuates the fuel pump in an Echo, part number 90987-02012 but online wiring diagrams indicate that it is taking a signal from the ECU - which I assume is for the timing of the fuel primer.

Reckon I'll order me a Gastech.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy