ae101 replace radiator and hoses

Fishtank

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if this is fairly straightforward to do.  I have a gregorys manual which seems to go into good detail on replacing/refurbishing the radiator. 

I am just concerned how corroded the inside of the engine might be.  the radiator cap is rusty as and I just cleaned out some blocked up hoses running from the rad cap to the overfill bottle.  I'm sure the thermostat is clogged open with gunk cos she runs around the Cold mark even on a hot summers day.  been doing it for years and never had a problem with overheating so I just left it.  But now all the hoses are brittle to the touch so its only a matter of time before one bursts.

Basically what I am asking is is there something I should use when I flush the engine and the radiator?  Some kind of descaling treatment?

Also, the radiator is the original from 1997 I am not sure if i should try and flush it or just get a new one.  If a new one, is an aluminium one ok?  Heard that some can be cheap and nasty.

Thanks for the help!!!

Members dont see this ad

If you take out the thermostat you can give the engine a thorough flush out with a garden hose.

It wouldn't hurt to put some sort of radiator flush through first as it may loosen some of the scale and crap, that you can then hose out once it cools down.

Radiators are usually pretty long lived, so if it isn't leaking, it should go on for ages yet.  Can run into problems if channels have got blocked off, but again a good vigorous flush from top and bottom will hopefully clear things out.  When the engine is hot, you can carefully place your hand against the front of the radiator and see if there are any cold areas suggesting coolant isn't getting to those areas.  Don't be too rough with it.

Many a good engine (including my wife's old 4AC in a previous AE82) has been done in by a burst hose, usually miles from home.  It's cheap insurance to replace them.  Don't use silicon hoses as they can be a problem to seal sometimes.  Whatever you can't find on ebay, just get it from Toyota.  It may be slightly more expensive, but it will fit first time.

Much stuff can be found on ebay these days via the part whoesale places, and you can actually get replacement radiators through repco.  If you need one, may be worth pricing a new replacement with them first before trying a cooling place.

Give it a go, it isn't hard.