New Motor :)

FLiPPeN_CRaZY

Hey all, after some advice...

I'm looking at gettin a 4age ( i currently only have a 4c) to put in my rolla coz looks like mine motor still doesnt like me after having ittowed this mornin to the mechanics (still waiting on the damage report)

However wondering where i should be enquiring into gettin a new one from, any ideas? Andany other info i need toknow about replacing the motor...

Members dont see this ad

4ac to a 4age should be pretty straight forward esp since your already running fwd so you don't need to pay the bit more for the conversion.

i would seriosly check ebay trading post and forums for sale section for a cheap 4age.

i would contact fours n more (yeah they are north but they are good)

they can try and track down a second hand one for ya.

main reall diff i can see with the engine conversion is the 4age is efi and so has a ecu but if you get someone else to do it its easy.

if you decide to do it yourself let me know and ill help you out if you want

Its getting hard now to come across low k examples of the 16v (without a supercharger at least). Best bet would be to hunt down a 20v front cut if you are looking at keeping it NA! Just check out a HPI or a Zoom magazine (surely you should have one around) and they usually have a lot of advertisments for people selling front cuts and even the motor by itself! In Adelaide fours n more near parafield (just off reasearch rd) deal with a few 20 valves and know their 4age motors well! Thats really the only people I have dealt with so far when it comes to 4ages! Hope this helps....

I'll have to get someone todo it for me (I'm a helpless female :ninja: or thats the part I'm gonna playwhen it comes to engine conversions)... Heard from my mechanic again and looks like it may be the head again... so yeh thinking that if it is i might gothe new engine... Any ideas asto how much i would roughly be looking at?

it is one of those things on how much are you prepared to spend?

you would be looking at over 2 grand for a 20v front cut, plus then you need an EFI fuel pump/tank. plus add labour on top of that to change it all over and rewire etc.

Bear in mind if you buy another twin cam its likely to be high ks now and probably in a roughish condition. If you go the conversion route you can have a low ks motor in ( if ya get a front cut you know the exact ks on the clock ) and hopefully a far more reliable car due to a later model motor. You can then spend more money on other areas of your car such as suspension, brakes, paint ect. Just another point of view for ya to think about... :ninja: I personally like the conversion idea but it all comes down to how much you want to spend on an old AE82. Just for the record I have a AE82 with a 20v conversion and I luv it!

Yeh well i should find out 2morro if the head is stuffed or if it was just a gasket... Still not sure what i wanna do though if it is the head, don't have a lot of money due to the fact i can't work without my car so makes things a lil difficult... but oh well... i'll work something out.

• 3 weeks later...

i have ae82 with 20v conversion and it cost me just under 5k about 4 years ago.

you can save money by getting the motor yourself ( ichiban engines in sydney $600 or front cut $2k) and then find someone to fit it. I recomend API engines at lonsdale. :dance: