Ae82 Suspension

Hey guys, just picked up my second corolla, a stock as a rock 87 CS, it's nice to burn around until you try to hit a corner with speed and then it all goes out the window. So basically I'm looking for a cheap suspension upgrade, nothing too wild as its just gonna be my Daily driver.

so far I'm thinking....

Install the front Strut from a twin cam as the CS came without one

replace all the bushes

new springs and shocks (prob pedders sportsryder pack)

Rear Strut (anyone know a good dealer pref. in SA)

And eventually Swaybars (anyone got suggestions as to what works well with what I'm looking for?)

Plus i will soon have some 15's to replace the stock 13" rim&hubcap combo

Members dont see this ad

Cheers for that nick, but why no rear strut?

I read that because of the shape of hatchbacks and lack of support between top of shocks means more movement? therefore rear strut and thicker sway bars will minimise movement.

i don't know if thats b/s but it sounds right to me, maybe its a drift setup for rwd to get the arse end out while gaining off the line traction? not sure hopefully replaing bushes on struts will help anyway

1. Welcome to Rollaclub. Glad to have you with us

6. Swaybars - Don't bother. Get your suspension sorted out *properly* and you won't need them.

i agree to a point but then again the ae82 twinky has front and rear swaybars. so if the ae82 cs is like the ae92 cs it doesnt have a front swaybar from the factory, i would be installing a standard front swaybar from an ae82 twinky and leaving the rear standard :thumbsup:

Edited by MYSTIK

Go to a suspension shop thats willing to divert from the factory settings and have them set the front with 0 - 1mm toe out, about 1-2 degree more negative camber and have castor bushes fitted, for more castor. It'll help with the turning in.

On the back. 0 - 1mm toe out. It'll make the arse end loose, but not enough to be uncontrollable.

And learn how to left foot brake.

Lowered suspension is a personal choice. I'm using standard height cause i don't like the idea of having the bottom of the car closer to the tarmac on the back roads where i spend most of my driving.

Same thing with swaybars. Mines standard on the front with poly bushes on the bar and the links, and a whiteline adjustable rear bar. Never noticed much of a change till i had the wheel alignment done.