How To Remove Your Ke70 Dash And Instrument Cluster

hey yall

jus found this in my pms coz i rote it to someone a while back

thought i might chuck it up here for anyone interested

hey mate

to start with when i say "dash" I'm talking the brown (whatever colour you have) thingy thats fake leather and sits on top of everything.

when i say "instrument cluster surround" thats the black piece of [plastic that sits around the speedo unit and around the radie etc.

with screws: to get the radio out, you need only remove the instrument cluster surround (this however is not an easy job, because if you look the dash comes over the edge of the instrument cluster surround in the top left corner of the instrument cluster surround.) it can however be done with a little determination and persuasion. (this may be easier than pulling the dash out for no necessary reason) so what you do is look at that peice of plastic and see theres lots of holes with lots of screws....self explanatory, just remove all of those screws on the instrument cluster surround along the top edge where they screw up into the dash, and along the bottom edge where they screw up into...something lol

now this is done, you should find that with a bit of a wiggle the instrument cluster surround will move...amazing! lol

now remove all the knobs off ur radio, and the little nuts behind these knobs (knobs just pull off but i expect uve got this far before you needed help, just incase tho)

now start at the right hand end of the instrument cluster surround , and start to pull it out (gently!) as it comes you will notice the left hand end isnt as keen on the idea...well tell it stop being a whore and get the fu** out of there, often done best with a second set of hands, push against the dash and it will squash away and try get that top left corner out from behind the dash, grunts and curses will help this.

be careful not to break anything :)

now then once u get this corner forward, u will notice that the very bottom left edge of the instrument cluster surround catches in the screw holes because of the way the holes in the instrument cluster surround are molded and push upwards into these holes, so just gently flex it so these come past and then the instrument cluster surround should simply come out.

this may take some effort and don't be afraid to put some balls into it, just don't bend it too far, weve all played with rulers and know when plastic is gettin to its stress point so yeah, just like that, don't pull it too far :lolcry:

now then you should have the instrument cluster surround out by now, and if you look at the radio, down each side you will see there is a mounting bracket that is screwed onto the radio, and has 2 screws screwed into the plastic to hold it. undo these 2 screws on each side, and the radio will pull forward yayayay! uv can now unplug the wires and work out what they are, theres not many :y: speaker wires and an acc power is about all lol

now you can do what you wish.

if however your car is more of an arsehole than others, or you didnt put enough grunting or cursing into trying to remove the instrument cluster surround you will ahve to remove the dash

the four bolts i spoke of are along the back edge of the dash and just sit into drilled out slots in the platic supports that support the whole under dash assembly...

i have pics :lolcry:

taken just b4, thats why the one taken in my spare part mobile is so dark, sorry mate

post-885-1135337837_thumb.jpg

post-885-1135337883_thumb.jpg

the black circles are the screw holes, fairly obvious when looking

the red circles are the bolt slots in the car, theyre the two on the passenger side, theres two others on the drivers side, and the red cirlces int he second pic are the bolts that come out of the dash...makes sense??

hope so

now then, my memory at this point is clouded in regards to getting to those bolts, a long extensions on a 10mm (??) socket are the goods to get to these, however I'm not sure if the 2 on the drivers side can be got to with the instrument cluster (speedo, tacho etc.) still in, so you may have to get the instrument cluster surround out before the dash comes off. but really you don't need to take the dash off. you also have to push, or just remove a peice of the air ducting out of the way on the passenger side to get to the bolts.

if you take the dash out, which ive done too many times, i would recommend not taking the 4 nuts off the studs that come out of the dash for good, they are overkill, with all the screws in the dash wont! move, so the bolts are there for no reason but as overkill, the studs are good as they act as locating plugs. coz they slide into their grooves. if you leave these nuts off, to remove the dash takes 2 minutes, and then about the same for the instrument cluster surround, so it may be worthwhile to take it off, and take these off while you have the chance, but it depends how often youll take ur dash off, i have an alarm system and central locking and my stereo up in/under the dash so to access it the dash has to come off, so ive had to do it a few times and leaving those nuts off makes like sooo much easier. anywho, this is going on along way now, and i hope ive told u what u need to know :lolcry:

oh btw way ashtray and in glove box screws don't have to come off, just the ones that hold the dash to the rest of the car.

hope this helps, hit me back with a pm to let me know how it goes, or if u have anymore questions.

sorry bout it being so long, but its good to cover all aspects me thinks :y:

catchya mate

good luck!

remember curse and grunt haha

cya :lolcry:

Edited by irokin
  • Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...