Ae92 Corolla Info

Daniel

Hi guys, been a reader on and off over the years, had a few rolla's starting with a gze powered ke55, stocko KE70 and for a few yrs a god damn ford transit company van(diesel) yeh i said it. I'm now back in the market for a real car(toyota Only). I'm looking at a '90 AE92 with the injected 1600. I have a question that i havent been able to get answered, are all of these 100kw motors? If so are they the strengthened block engines(similair to gze block) with extra oil pickups?

I found a real clean one with 170,000 on it for 4k with a year rego, I'm gonna buy it as it seems good. I will almost immediately throw a new suspension,brakes, int/exhaust and maybe wheels on it, to get that feeling back.

Also I'm looking at a '93 sr5 4wd corolla, i have never beena fan of these but i need a wagon for throwing gear in for mtn bike trips and camping, i figure 4wd drifting on nsw south coast fire trails will be enjoyable also. Any one got a stock one of these?

If any1 has any ideas on either of these babies as in big issues, or easy upgrades ide be happy to read what you have to say. I want to buy both of these and do a few mods and spend no morew than 15k all up.

Thanks in advance fellas..........................

Members dont see this ad

mate i've got a AE92 and they're a great car. Unfortunately i've only got the 1.6 carby engine model (lowest of low for this model) and as far as i know they also have the same engine (4AFC) in an injected form (4AFE). Neither of these will give you 100kW. There is a 4AGE in some of the 'sport' optioned ones (maybe SX...?) and these come in a 'small port' and 'big port' type. I think only the 'big port' will give you a factory 100kW. Other than this there are the two famous ones, the 4AGZE (supercharged 4AGE) and the high compression 20V black/silver tops. Both of these should give over 100kW from factory and have huge potential (although many argue that a 'big port' 4AGE has more potential that a 20V...)

Again as far as i know, the 4AGZE is the only one that comes with strengthened internals (relative to NA ones) and the 20V are the youngest of all of them so they get some 'newer tech' bits which are lighter.

I haven't read this site for a while, but back in the day i found it as the best source of info. give it a read and you will learn some new stuff. Don't forget just cuz it's on the net doesn't make it true so if you're looking at one specific model always ensure you check a few sources for that particular one to make sure all the info is consistent.

the site is http://www.billzilla.org/4agstock.htm comes from http://www.billzilla.org/ , from the hope page you can navigate around and find heaps of cool articles on engine types, modifications etc.

that's all i got for now, hope it helps somewhat.

tibor.

If the car is running the original motor and it has a injected 1600 it can be one of 2 from what I know. Either a 4afe or a 4age. Both are 16 valve but the 4age version has a 7 rib block as apposed to 3 and also oil squirters for the pistons. The head is the other difference with the "g" head designed for performance (with help from Yamaha I think!) and thats the one that has 100kw. Known as the small port 4age. Great motor and if you can get a good one in a AE92 I recommend it. The only car that came out with this 4age is the SX and SX Seca as well as the SX Gti. All cool cars but I prefer the hatch myself as apposed the the bigger Seca. The 4afe isnt a bad motor by any means but not as exciting or as powerfull as the 4age. I had a 100kw small port in my old AE82 and that thing suprised a lot of people. :P Check the engine code for the G!

mate i've got a AE92 and they're a great car. Unfortunately i've only got the 1.6 carby engine model (lowest of low for this model)

the 4AGZE is the only one that comes with strengthened internals (relative to NA ones) and the 20V are the youngest of all of them so they get some 'newer tech' bits which are lighter

lowest of the low for ae90/92 chassis is the 6afc 1.4 litre :y:

the only difference(from what i read and been told) between the ze and the ge is the tha ze had forged and ceramic coated piston (but don't qoute me on that i haven been known to be wrong)

ok the ae92 had 3 injected engines (4afe and the 4age(7afe 1.8 in the rv seca)) the 4age came in the sx, gti, and sx seca (s1 and s2)

4wd sr5 corolla have a 4afe from the factory, but there have been a few engines swap done to the these, ie 4agze and the 20v 4age.

other than that rolla_4 has covered most of it :P

Edited by MYSTIK

Thanks Rolla 4 and Mystik. i found a 1990 ae92 sx with 100kw in it, with only 170 000 on it, and rego, ill part with 3750 for it. I appreciate the heads up, as I'm not too keen on doing a engine transfer atm. The only drama the car has is clutch shudder, but ill smacka haeavy duty clutch and pressure plate right on it and get a lightened flywheel.

I only found out about the 6afc in the AE92 a couple of weeks ago. I was stumped. Till then I had never heard of it and assumed it was only 4a series motors in it like the AE82. Anyway the 4agze definately has forged internals but have never heard of ceramic coated pistons but I may be wrong. Nice pickup if ya get the AE92 SX Robert. You will have to post some picks up when ya get the chance. If ya do the clutch aswell try and do the engine/trans mounts at the same time. When I had the extreme HD clutch in the AE82 with the 100kw I chewed through the engine mounts! :) Heard knocking from the engine bay and realised its the motor rocking far enough to touch something else in the engine bay.... :D Easy fixed but just a thought.... Goodluck.

Well i got screwed. I have been flat out trying to find a descent ae92/3. Running around half of our goddamn state and nothing. I do appreciate the help though. I ditched the awd corolla for a subaru liberty.i am a toyota man by blood, but i think subaru pretty much has AWD down. plus i got a good deal. so now I'm left with the dilemma of finding a nice car for sport driving.