Silicone??

smacko84

Hello Reader....

I have a question. My mate owns a magna (don't hold that against me) anyways on the boot they have a MAGNA badge that is in panel of plastic. he is in the process of cutting out the letters and plans to put a small neon behind the letters so that at night when he turns the lights on the MAGNA glows.

My question to you is, do we know of a clearish silicone or similar substance that he will be able to used to fill the letters that will allow an as even as possible spread of light but still be waterproof and will last in the weather?

Thanks heaps

Members dont see this ad

fibre glass would absorb alot of the light. youd be better off going with a clear plastic rather than composite, a good plastic would be polyurethane, it has good uv properties and is also amorphous (Which is a type of plastic which is clear) unless it has colour additives. another very good type of plastic would be polycarbonate, cheap and very clear. altho you need polycarbonate that has uv stabilisers, as in its normal form is prone to uv attack. its still really cheap and fairly normal to get polycarbonate with the stabilisers. you could even go with Polyethylene Terephthalate(PET) which is what coke bottles are made of.

up to you in the end. should be able to find offcuts from plastic manufacturers fairly cheap, they will pretty much throw it at you.

Edited by Rollin-Rolla