Head Difference??

Hi,

Ok if you want to be able to tell the difference in your K series motor head scroll down and add or look for your number in my list so you can see what type of head you have.

Also anyone know where the 83 number head is from? I think it is a 4K one?

Cameorn

Edited by camerondownunder88

Members dont see this ad

Hi,

Ok after some searching I found nothing that can give me rock solid help with my head problem but I found the old rolla site that had the numbers that were found cast in heads on corollas so you could match your heads up. Out of 4 of my rolla heads I had 1 of them match up :) The number on the heads I have were:

8 - this is off a 4K-E

83 - ??

6 - Off my running 4K out of a KE70

31 - Off my running KE30 3K-C motor

So I was wondering can anyone tell me for sure what type of head my 83 one is and if my KE30 31 head is a big port mild or small or normal?

So I though in this thread I would like to compile peoples head numbers with the type of motor it is if it is standard. As if people start quoting a 3K head number on a 4K it will screw it up a bit. So feel free to start posting numbers and engine type. I have started a few and also used the ones off the rolla site to get the ball rolling. I have also added my heads to the list one in the unknown and others there they belong.

Cameron

P.S. The number is between spark plugs 3 and 4 on the back of the head.

Engine - Head cast number.

K:

Mildport K: 45

3k:

Standard 3K: 5, 19, 31, 85, 86 (pending)

Smallport 3K: 25

3K Bigport without water jackets: 24010-190, 24010-141, 24010-200, 24010-217, 24010-195, 24010-155

3K-H: 33.

4K:

Standard 4K: 3, 10, 57, 20, 13, 2 (but with no ridges under spark 1 and 4), 6, 65, 1

Mildport 4K: 11

4K-E: 8

5K:

5K: 24, 2 (this is with the ridges under spark plug 1 and 4 so it is a dished piston head)

7K:

Edited by camerondownunder88

Hi,

Just went ot the shed to do a messure and look at my 2 heads. The one off the 4K-E and the unknow 83 one.

The unknown 83 head has an inlet port diameter of 27mm. and the one off the 4K-E had a inlet port diameter of 25mm you can also see from looking the 2mm difference. Then when looking at the combustion chamber part the 4K-E is visible shallower but is the shame shap. By a rough messure of depth at the highest point of the exhaust valve I was able to see the 4K-E head is about 7mm deep while the other head is about 9mm deep. So in turn the 4K-E had dished pistons in it BUT on dished piston motors under spark plug 4 and 1 it has little like rods sticking out of the head and this head doesnt have them so it is a 4K-E head that is designed for flat top pistons so has anyone heard of this combo? But out of the 2 the one with bigger inlet ports looks neater so it would be the one to use but I was also thinking the one off the 4K-E since it is smaller inlet pots it could be a flat top piston small port head? correct me if I'm wrong. So tomorrow ill get a spare spark plug out and fill my 2 head and see how many CC each head holds.

Cameron

sounds like you have a little bit of a clue as too whats going on :)

One tip i might give you though :D PLEASE use some kind of paragraphing ;) big blocks of words no matter how well punctuated hurt my head and makes it abuot a million times harder to understand :)

Cheers

Nathan

Hi,

Ok just went out and measured the heads I had today in the top of the CC to see the capacity of them.

In both of them I was ale to fit 35mL of water. So even though they have a different number they are the same capacity and one of the heads is off a 4K-E which I though had dished pistons and a shallow head?? So I took some pics and ill attached them below.

post-1811-1161576033_thumb.jpg

can see in pic above the bottom head which is the 4K-E one has smaller inlet ports.

post-1811-1161576080_thumb.jpg

Again in above pic you can see there the same CC shape. So After all this testing I believe the 83 number head is probably a 4K one.

Cameron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And the new head, of indeterminate origin, is numbered 86. OMFG!!!!!!!!!!111111!!! hachi roku1!!!!one!

Hehe.

The wreckers claim it's from a 3K, although i would never put it past them to lie straight to my face just to get me to buy the damned thing. The ports and valves and combution chambers do appear identical though. The only difference between them was in the hosing attachments at either end.

corolla test pilot would you mind putting aphoto up of your head or PM a photo to me. As with the attachments it could be a bigport head so it will have a welsch plug or different manifold stuff as some big ports had a water heated manifold.

But I have added your head numbers to my list thanks.

Cameron

No digital imagery capabilities in my universe. Hence the non-existence of 781JCU photos. I can tell you though. No manifold with the 86 head, but where 33 head had plate with pipe for a hose to attach to on firewall end, 86 head had a plate. Both were small ports, I can tell you that. The thermostats were slightly different, the 33 one appeared less technical. Hope that helps in your quest for Kmotor knowledge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...