Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Aircon For A Kexx

Featured Replies

Does your KExx have airconditioning?

I know some came out with it as a factory option..

just wondering for those KE's without aircon (like mine), can a airconditioning unit from a car that did have it in, be easily installed in one without?

I have been talking to a few people about this - local mechanics etc.. and there's reason to believe that it's difficult to install airconditioning in one without it because all the hoses etc under the dash have to be re-installed and replaced.. so I'm just wondering if anyone has installed airconditioning in their KExx and if so, how easy was it to install?

 

Cheers

 

KJ :)

well when you buy a new corolla and option it with air con they have to install it (they don't actually leave the factory with the air con in place, the guys at the dealership have to install it for you) and it takes quite a while.

 

i would assume it would be a bit easier on an old rolla as the technology and the bits behind the dash wouldnt be as complicated.

 

 

or you could be like me drive with the window down :)

Having just installed aircon into my KE70 (thanks big_al) i can tell you its not that tricky to do... especially if you have the original installation manual (thanks teddy) :)

 

unfortunately you can't just use any old arcon bits though... every car has its own completely different setup.

 

Mind you, you should pretty much be able to fit any aircon gear from any 4k equipped rolla into yours, at least the under-bonnet components at least. the tricky part will be finding the cooler-box thingy that goes under the dash... and then the wiring... (not sure if pre KE70 have the aircon wiring already in the loom... someone know?)

 

Other than that, the actual physical installation of the assorted parts is pretty easy. :cool:

the '74 TE28 i had had non-dealer a/c

i say this because i am sure it didn't leave the factory with a/c, but it wasn't put on by the dealer, probably done when it arrived at the docks

it's all nippondenso........

post-432-1161752343_thumb.jpg

Yeah that looks like the same setup I had on a datsun 120Y... generic aftermarket gear with compressor brackets etc to suit particular models.

 

works well, but not integrated with factory controls and seriously reduces space on the passenger side

Deleted

Edited by Sbox

Deleted

Edited by Sbox

  • Author

Sounds fantastic - so if I can get hold of an airconditioning unit from a KE70 or preferabally from a KE55 from a wreckers or somewhere, then yeah I'd be keen to tackle the project - I don't mind getting out the toolbox and giving things a go! and I would love to see some pix Sbox - when you get around to them that is...

anyone else with any info they can help me with, just PM me! and if anyone comes across an airconditioning unit cheap out of a wreck or something, let me know (I'm located in SA, so I'd preferr not to pay postage)

 

Cheers

I found one today which i bought. It was hell getting it out of the car. I had to take the whole dash appart just so i could get all the parts/wires.

 

Just from the look of this one i'd say that even though it fits the KE55 i took it out, judging from the stickers and the differant colour of the plastic parts to the interior plastic, i'd say that it was fitted after by toyota. If not, by someone else.

Well its up to me, and i want to have it done properly by a profesional.

 

Plus i haven't taken the copper pipes. I'll have them make those up and stick them in.

Deleted

Edited by Sbox

  • Author

Cheers for that great info, all I need now is a second hand aircon unit! Anyone know of any, let me know.

 

Cheers

 

KJ :)

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yeah that looks like the same setup I had on a datsun 120Y... generic aftermarket gear with compressor brackets etc to suit particular models.

 

works well, but not integrated with factory controls and seriously reduces space on the passenger side

yeah except that THIS unit is genuine toyota; it's the same one used on all toytas up until '71 (except crown) and corollas until '75, hiluxes until '78.......HERE

this one used copper lines, the evap unit is shit, doesn't cool that well at idle- 20-30* less than ambient temp, but it's a constant 35-40* coming out of the vents going down the highway at 90*

i added the louvres to the hood for a huge improvement

post-432-1164858192_thumb.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.