Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke70 Wagon

Featured Replies

Well, I recently got a job that required me to do 150+km's a day in peak hour traffic, and as I only have a very insane Commodore (It doesn't like traffic) and a motorbike (Winter+Peak Hour+Rain+Bike=Dead) I decided to find myself a cheap daily.

My very first car (5 years ago) was a 4 speed manual brown KE70. Reliable as hell, did terrible things to it, yet it just wouldn't die.

So, for a daily, I started looking at KE70 manuals.

I ended up finding this (very first car I looked at actually)

It's a baby blue colour 4K-C 1.3L 5 speed KE70 wagon.

Full log books and service history (actually filled out!) from when it was new, one previous owner to me.

Had rego until August, but no RWC. Ended up picking it up for $600.

 

1967906.jpg

 

1967897.jpg

 

1967932.jpg

Looks like a good starter for a project :jamie:.

  • Author

Nah, this is my 'hiding from cops' car. :jamie:

Nah, this is my 'hiding from cops' car. :wink:

Hehe fair enough. :jamie:

  • Author

Does anyone know what the 5 speed box is in these beasts? Are they interchangable with Celica 5 speeds?

 

Edit: Ok, just done some quick research. K50 seems to be the go?

Edited by deathsminion

K50 is what you have and a which celica are you thinking as there is a W50 in RA40's and a T50 in TA22's etc

  • Author

I'll be 100% honest with you, my knowledge is pretty well all Holden, Supra, or Skyline based. :jamie:

I know enough that I could convert to 4AGTE, or SR20, but I know nothing about different model classifications.

Basically the existing box has a bit of a whine to it, the only downside that I could find with the car. Apparentally it's been doing it for years, and the box hasn't gone, but I just worked out via the log books that it's only done 18,000km in the last 3 years.

I was a mechanic by trade, so I could easily change it over, I just need to know what boxes will bolt up, and if there are any advantages to other boxes.

 

 

Haha, I'm so demanding :wink:

Only the K50 and K40 will bolt up easily and cheaply, You could find a K to T bellhousing and run a T50 but those bellhousings are like hens teeth.

  • Author

Excellent, thanks for that AE70, you're a champion.

 

Just one last question:

 

Are KE70's stud pattern 4x114?

 

I'm looking to just whack a set of 17"s on the wags, and drop it down a little, but 4 stud rims are a bit daunting.

yep 4x114.3

If you want a bigger box in the thing, a K-W5X (Out of a 99 7K townace) housing is one of the easiest to source. sub $100 mark when I got one.

Good luck damaging a W55 with a stock 4K :jamie: Best part is you get a decent overdrive.

Edited by beerhead

  • Author

It only whines in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and slightly in 5th. 4th is perfect though. And it's only when the clutch is out. I've blown a few diffs in my time, and it never sounded like that.

Box still feels perfect though.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.