Ae71 Engine

alloroC

Yet I think I remember maybe Nick or someone converting an AE71 back to a 4K cos the 4K was more reliable.

If you work a 4K or even a 5K, its gonna piss all over a 4A-C.

nuh its not going to piss on it......the 4ac can be made to go hard.very hard!! and with only minimal work.

my wifes ae71 of some years ago was a rocket that always wanted to rev. the biggest inhibiting factor is the carby.

get a bigger one and there is a good difference

later electronic ignition better coil

pay particular attention to the area of the manifold immediatly below the carby. actually adding devcon to better radius the bend will increase the flow

standard exhaust manifold is crap a costly effort at custom making did wonders BUT oh the pain...must be a cheap way some where

a small cam if you want....very mild was mine

no internal mods a slight lump in the idle, standard airbox....cops thought it was an out of tune standard car

it would be a dam good 3k or 4k with twins that would beat it

there is another alternative......bit of work though.....get a bunkyT18 and swap everything. very torquey with head shave, extractors 2.25 exhaust and weber

old corolla bloke

Members dont see this ad
nuh its not going to piss on it......the 4ac can be made to go hard.very hard!! and with only minimal work.

my wifes ae71 of some years ago was a rocket that always wanted to rev. the biggest inhibiting factor is the carby.

get a bigger one and there is a good difference

later electronic ignition better coil

pay particular attention to the area of the manifold immediatly below the carby. actually adding devcon to better radius the bend will increase the flow

standard exhaust manifold is crap a costly effort at custom making did wonders BUT oh the pain...must be a cheap way some where

a small cam if you want....very mild was mine

no internal mods a slight lump in the idle, standard airbox....cops thought it was an out of tune standard car

it would be a dam good 3k or 4k with twins that would beat it

there is another alternative......bit of work though.....get a bunkyT18 and swap everything. very torquey with head shave, extractors 2.25 exhaust and weber

old corolla bloke

so what carby in on it??

i'd like to do some simple cheap CHEAP mods on mine just for a little bit more kick but yeah...

thanks

so what carby in on it??

i'd like to do some simple cheap CHEAP mods on mine just for a little bit more kick but yeah...

thanks

I know it was a down draft weber......which one I had on the shelf and MADE it fit with an adaptor I can't remember

get a second std hand manifold cut flange off weld new on hey presto weber fit, and now play with cable easy

old corolla bloke

I know it was a down draft weber......

I've just done this to my AE71 - only a 32DIR at the moment until I get around to fidgetting the carby kit through the 32/36.

It's a whole new car! Revs happily, much more responsive, fuel economy has remained largely unchanged.

Exhaust is till standard (except the resonator's been el-cheapo replaced with a lump of straight through pipe after it spat the dummy).

Cam to come later - maybe!

When I've had the 32/36 on for a bit, I'll post a thread about it ... so I can include impressions and fuel economy shite.

Bottom line: for cheapness, you can't beat stuffing another 4AC back in. To make it a much more entertaining car, slap a weber in there too :y:.

cheers,

Slapper

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I have put a 4-ac back in and its all good. did all gaskets, welsh plugs and typical stuff like that to keep her running - after all its only a $500 car i drive to work and back each day.

I do like the sound of the weber idea to give it a bit more poke but I'm a bit hesitant as shes a 3 speed auto.

do webers have a linkage for the auto kick-down cable?

I'd also need a custom manifold and extractors to do this...am i right?

thanks again guys!

Jon

do webers have a linkage for the auto kick-down cable?

I'd also need a custom manifold and extractors to do this...am i right?

Hmmm - no kickdown cable I'm aware of (there might be alinkage you can buy to do it though).

Simplest: you'll need an adapter plate to go between your manifold and the carby - about $40 worth.

You won't need extractors.

Don't forget to allow for filters etc as well.

It's generally a bit of a fiddle getting everything to fit - throttle linkages, emissions stuff .. almost always something already at the base of the carby wants to interfere with one or more bolts, levers or whatnot from the weber and needs to be relocated/removed. Deciding what to do with the emissions stuff can be a chore. The linkage on the carby never fits the end of the accelerator cable ... plus, the accelerator cable bracket is always in the wrong place!

It's almost never a quick swap-over :y: but worth the effort if you do it.

chairs,

Slapper