Electrical Problem

gotstogo

I have a 95 and the battery light is on. The battery is 5 months old as is the alternator, at the carparts store they tested the alternator in the car and got 14.5 volts and 5 amps instead of 30 amps this test was done at the battery. I took the alternator out and they tested it 3 times and it passed. From time to time the light will go off.

Any help please.

Members dont see this ad

Hi,

A while ago I did a how to some where here on installing a new alt onto a K motor. That might give you an idea on how to wire it/ get a bit more info on how an alt is wired.

In my KE30 the original alt the charge light was BRIGHT as even if you just turned the radio on but it never ran out of power. I found the original wires in the main power feed loom (my name for it, this is loom where it goes battery starter alt that section) had all frayed. And the charge light wire was mm dead causing the high resistance and the light to be bright.

So check this wire for breaks frays broken strands etc. Also on a K motor my wires had melted a bit from head some how so check them all. To make you own loom here but is easy so I up graded to heavier cable and all and a new 80amp alt and never had an issue since so look at your loom this is where I think you problem is.

As does the car run out of power and not start after being driven?

Cheers

Cameron

Sounds similar to a problem we had with a Chrysler Neon in at work during the week. The alternator light would come and go as well as the dash dropping power. Turns out it was the negative battery terminal causing the grief. Boss only noticed it when the terminal blew a small puff of smoke, Replaced the terminal and all was good..