Solenoid Problem

CD_rollaman

Ok, so yesterday I was driving to a mates place, I get to his street turn the corner, and the starter starts cranking over.

For fear of burning out the motor, I pulled over, and killed the power. The starter didn't stop.

So I disconnected the battery, and went to see my mate.

He is a Diesel Mechanic, and had a spare solenoid which we wired in, all seemed to be ok.

Fast forward to evening. I start my car, and same deal the starter refuses to stop, This time I notice that the solenoid switch is rapidly switching on and off.

So my Question is, Could we possibly have used an incorrect solenoid? Or is there another Fault here?

Edited by CD_rollaman

Members dont see this ad

Sounds like the energising connection to the solenoid is shorting (the thinner wire).

Look for the fault by either tracing the existing connection from starter solenoid back to the ignition barrel, or vice veras (in the other direction).

If that's too hard ... just run a new wire.

The only benefit with tracing the existing is you may find a spot where the loom is chafing somewhere - possibly causing other wires to short later ...

cheers,

Slapper