Ke30 Master Cylinder Issue

sammo

I was wondering if anyone knows why my master cylinder in my 76 ke30 is playing up.

What happens is the main fluid Reservoir (black lid) will empty its fulid and the secondery reservoir (red lid) will fill up to over-flowing.

post-3282-1180767727_thumb.jpg

So what i have to do from time to time is take fluid from red, and put it into black, so the pedel doesn't go to the floor!

Can it be fixed :bash:

Members dont see this ad
Well...maybe a slight over enthusiastic statement, but i can defenitly feel the pedel go down when the first one emptys.

As far as i know pedel travel is normal, about an inch, inch and a halve...

I had this happen on an old Datto, and I wouldn't be suprised if it's the same thing. Basically each cylinder is fluid for either the rear or front braking circuit. What's probably happened is that a seal has gone in your master, and so whenever you put the brake on it pumps fluid from on circuit to the other, but it can't return. At least, this is what happened with my old Datto master. Sounds to me like it's time to get it rebuilt.

Mike

What's probably happened is that a seal has gone in your master, and so whenever you put the brake on it pumps fluid from on circuit to the other, but it can't return.

Yeah i thought it would be something like a seal gone or leaking.

You may be right...rebuild time....

yeah i agree, there will be a seal blown/broken in your master so its pumping all the fluid from the front circuit is returning to the rear when you let the pedal up.

I'm suprised it hasnt affected the braking off the car.

Nope she pulls up fine...

It's not actually the seals that are used in braking that's probably stuffed, it's more likely the seal that separates the two circuits in the master. It will probably pull up fine until all the fluid is gone.

Either way, rebuild!!

Mike

It will probably pull up fine until all the fluid is gone.

I'm on top of the fluid, and i just take it from 2nd res and put it in the 1st every week or so.

Thanks for the info guys! :bash:

So....Anyone know who can rebuild a master cylinder in the canberra area for a good price....

I'm on top of the fluid, and i just take it from 2nd res and put it in the 1st every week or so.

Thanks for the info guys! :wink:

So....Anyone know who can rebuild a master cylinder in the canberra area for a good price....

prob cheaper to but a new one!!!