Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Valve Stem Seals

Featured Replies

Hi,

Just out sourcing more info on K motor cyclinder head valve seals.

 

Now we all know the 4K and better valve seals seal a whole world better than K motor seals.

 

So What I am just after is a picture of some 3K old style seals then some newer 4K seals?

 

Or just info on how to install newer style seals into an older head?

 

Cheers

Cameron

With the earlier heads the valves stems have 2 grooves machined in them, one for the spring retainer collets and one for the o-rings which mount in the spring retainer. ie. crap oil consumption unless the guides are good.

 

The later motors (ke30 3k and on) have valve stem seals which clip on to the valve guides.

 

If you want to install the later valve stem seals into an earlier head, you need to replace the valve guides with the later ones.

Edited by Felix

  • Author

So if you can confirm Felix below is the valve stem on the left an old style and on the right a new style?

post-1811-1181133785_thumb.jpg

Or is the one on the left a new style just minus the rubber top and spring?

 

As the one on the left is more of a straight shaft with a rounded in part to say it the best section near the top of the stem while the other right one is a straight shaft with a larger diameter top section and no rounded in section.

 

Cheers

Cameron

Your pic is not real clear.

 

Looks to me like the later style guides, which have a groove to which the valve stem seal clips on.

 

On the left the valve stem seal has been removed. The valve stem seal is still present on the right.

You need to remove the valve spring, with a valve spring compressor.

 

And then just flip the seal off with a flat screwdiver and push the new seal on.

  • Author

Taz just read my PM's...lol remove spring rip off seal.

 

Also Felix I have new type of valve guides in the K big port head but when it gets the head rebuilt I will be removing them and installing new guides as they look a bit worn.

The o-ring type sit on a groove on the valve stem below the valve collets, inside of the valve spring retainer. Pretty piss poor setup really, they do f@$k all if the guides are worn.

 

If I was to run an early type head I would adapt a set of escort umbrella type valve stem seals.

Edited by Felix

ok, I think I've got it sorted now. Just let me do a quick paint drawing to confirm it with you guys......haven't got cam cable!

 

There wasn't any in the head when I got it, thats why I don't know wee they go.

  • Author

Si one word...........MSN..lol

 

free to get then u can ask me anything pretty much 24/7..lol As you have my msn address.

 

Cameron

Actually thinking about it, the o-ring seals may slip on the top (top groove of stem) of the valve stem after the collets have been installed. Sorry, it has been about 6 years since I last played with a bigport head. The bigport heads I have are unfortunately not here.

Edited by Felix

  • Author

STOP....

 

Just checked the manual I have for early K motor heads.....

 

And the o-ring seal goes onto the TOP TOP grove in the valve stem.

 

So put it on top of the valve retainer clips that fall out when you remove the spring.

in some ways MSN would be a very bad idea for me. I waste enough time at work on here a day!! :P

 

Ok, heres my sexy pic.... :D

valve.jpg

 

No man thats how the holden/chev ones are.

 

You need to put it on the top of the collest like felix said on the TOP groove.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.