• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sweet, i am starting to think i will go for something a bit bigger

than a 30-70 :)

is yours a pig to drive around in traffic ?

depends on what your actualy going to rev it to.. or if your just doing it for the bump in the idel...?

as i said mine is rated 3500-7500rpm so I'm hoing it will be alright for everyday driving :)

cops doing you for a big cam..? i have a uneven idel because its too rich :)

belive me i have had worse than a big cam to rob abit of low down power, the carb will make up for that so it will drive like standard under 4,000 hit than and its away...

edit* got intouch with aus perfomance springs, he said they would be between $7-16 per spring so thats between $56-$128 plus shipping, so thats fairly broard. could be cheap or expensive

if anyone else wants a set while I'm at it, i have to send a spring to get a copy from so i could get extra, may make it a little cheaper too..

Edited by tas_ae71

I used to get asked about 2-3 times a day in traffic what kind of rotor I had

It was a 4KC with a 42/88 cam pretty sure thats around the 300 degree region

Stupid amounts of overlap, would idle fine at 1000rpm at lights

They are usable on the street, but you'll get sick of it and/or get done by the cops eventually

fair enough, thats what i was worried about, having a cam that would be fun,

but not a pig down low

i think i am still heading for a bottom end or strong midrange cam, as i want it to be a bit of a sleeper, and not be a cop magnet (which i think a incredibly lumpy idle would)

anyway, if i want a big cam like that, i should just build a race car ! (which i will when i can afford it)

oh well, i will try and see, if it turns out to mild, a bigger cam won't be that far away !

cheers

yeah the bonnute, wheels, exhaust, hight of car althought it isnt that low..

Thanks nick, this gives me some idea of what to expect.

i surpose its no good having a cam that is capable of more rpm than the motor.. that why i think mine is going to be well suit to what i want.

is a 32/36 big enough to use with a bigger cam..?

Edited by tas_ae71

i was thinking the opsite, i thought they would be a little on the small side for any serious power..

side drafts with 4 throttes are going to be able to flow alot more than a smaller twin thotte..

will put a pair for mikuni solexs on when I'm able to offord them.

Bonnet perhaps?

To be honest, on an n/a car a 30/70 is about the biggest you'd wanna go. 25/65 is pretty good.

My car was a SLUG under 3000 RPM with its 42/88 cam and 32/36 weber

Didn't make any decent power till about 4500 RPM and ran out of breath around 8000rpm with stock valve springs

Sounded cool, ate roundabouts for breakfast. I kinda miss its loud obnoxious exhaust note.

I don't think i'd do the same again

fair enough,

i think i might stick to the 30/70 or 25/65 cam, 1 DCOE 40, extractors, balancing etc,

and most importantly; whitewalls, venitians, and the old crocheted rug on the rear sill and seats to finish off the granny spec :evil:

(ok, maybe the rug is a bit overboard)

should be not a bad sleeper though !

nick, i have a 4ac...

I'm looking at the price for the solex's. are there really any major design diffrences between solex and weber/dellortos? yes i realise that sidedrafts are better, thats why i said i was planning on getting a pair in the future.

i would like to know why they are so bad? I'm not gaving ago at you in the slightest I'm just curious to know.

the reson i don't have a 4ag is alot to do with money. for the time being this is the cheaper option, when i build the new motor, including what i will already have it will be simerler to the cost of a ge. how ever when i am finnish with 4ac's i will be moving onto a 4ag without i dought, unless i get some amazing results with a head of much worse design.

nick, i have a 4ac...

I'm looking at the price for the solex's. are there really any major design diffrences between solex and weber/dellortos? yes i realise that sidedrafts are better, thats why i said i was planning on getting a pair in the future.

i would like to know why they are so bad? I'm not gaving ago at you in the slightest I'm just curious to know.

the reson i don't have a 4ag is alot to do with money. for the time being this is the cheaper option, when i build the new motor, including what i will already have it will be simerler to the cost of a ge. how ever when i am finnish with 4ac's i will be moving onto a 4ag without i dought, unless i get some amazing results with a head of much worse design.

Fundamentally, all the side drafts of equal size have the same performance potential. Where it gets sticky is getting parts for the buggers. Webers, for example, are highly configurable. You can change venturis, emulsions, a heap of jets, accel pumps and more, to match them perfectly to your engine. The problem is getting these parts. Solex's will work, but you'll have a lot of trouble finding parts to tune them. Same with Dellortos, but to a lesser extent. I'm even having trouble finding the bits I want for my Weber, and that's one of the more popular carburettors.

If I were going to go side draft, I'd stick with Webers. They have more support.

I'd probably stay with 25/65 for the street. The wilder you go, the more you really should change for it to work well.

Mike

Excuse me while I choke...

are you choking at the rug or the DCOE 40 ?

cause the rug was a joke,

and from what i have heard, if you jet down the DCOE it will be ok on a warm 4k,

(as said by snot 35, i also thought they were pretty versatile)

(sorry dude, but i am young and know little, so am trying to learn as much as i can ! ,

so bear with me please, even if i do seem to know shit all ! :evil: )

Edited by Rad Rolla

i don't mean to asume, but at a thought the jetting one a pair of carbs that are from a 1.6 that are going to another 1.6 would be fairly close....? i would imagine that a 2tg would have better flowing propertys but not enough that the carbs need to be rejetted. if you think these are too big, then why do people put quad thorttels onto a 4age? if bacisly doing the same thing... they put them on for better responce and because they can flow more air.

i don't mean to asume, but at a thought the jetting one a pair of carbs that are from a 1.6 that are going to another 1.6 would be fairly close....? i would imagine that a 2tg would have better flowing propertys but not enough that the carbs need to be rejetted. if you think these are too big, then why do people put quad thorttels onto a 4age? if bacisly doing the same thing... they put them on for better responce and because they can flow more air.

It could be close, it could be way off the mark. I guess if you had to they should be reasonably close for an engine that puts out similar amounts of power, but there are so many things that influence jetting it may not work at all. Exhaust, ignition, compression, port sizes, valve sizes. If you want a strong drivable motor then you want to jet it properly.

Fundamentally, all the side drafts of equal size have the same performance potential. Where it gets sticky is getting parts for the buggers. Webers, for example, are highly configurable. You can change venturis, emulsions, a heap of jets, accel pumps and more, to match them perfectly to your engine. The problem is getting these parts. Solex's will work, but you'll have a lot of trouble finding parts to tune them. Same with Dellortos, but to a lesser extent. I'm even having trouble finding the bits I want for my Weber, and that's one of the more popular carburettors.

If I were going to go side draft, I'd stick with Webers. They have more support.

I'd probably stay with 25/65 for the street. The wilder you go, the more you really should change for it to work well.

Mike

here is a pic of my 4k with worked head 30/70 cam and twin 40mm webers....goes very well indeed....as someone said stick with the webers

post-3471-1185015721_thumb.jpg

Edited by corolla-ute