78 Ke30 Auto To Ke55 5 Speed

hi

for anyone who knows about this conversion, I'm havin trouble figuring out the setup for the crossmember and gearbox mount. just need to know which crossmember and mount to use as the mounting position on the gearbox is a long way off bein in line with the crossmember, way to far for redrilling. I tryed a ke55 coupe mount today but was not much use. i also found another ke30 at the wreckers that had this conversion done but they just bodged up the auto crossmember with the mount sideway and a few extensions. Is there a tidier way? I'm comfused, what am i doing wrong?

waz

Edited by handmade

Members dont see this ad

hey there mate,( I'm sure a lot of us here have done it many of times ), just use the ke55 manual cross member and manual gearbox mount, you can't use the late ke30 automatic mount and crossmember, they are two different setups, only the early a20 ( 2 speed auto ) mount and crossmember are the same as the manuals, if its not lining up with the thread holes of the underside of the gearbox tunnel, you must have bolted the crossmember to the mount 180 degrees the wrong way, as the manual gearbox cross member is slightly "boomerang" shaped so to speak, the manual crossmember wont bolt up to where the auto one was, although the holes and threads will be there, hope this helps!

cheers, phatke30!

Edited by phatke30

hmmm. i think my car is odd. the only spot i can see to bolt the crossmember to the body is three holes. 2 where the auto crossmember bolted on and 1 further forward that doesnt even have thread inside. even when i placed the member in the forward most position it seemed no chance to line up. i will try again with the 55 member but i can't imagine it would b any diferent. is it possible that my car hasnt been fitted with the body mounting position for the manual? perhaps some pics r in order.

thanks for ur insight

also i had to cut the hole in the floor further forward. is that normal?

Edited by handmade

hmm. well its stamped a ke30 but it does appear that it will be a little more difficult for the changeover. i have a good design for making a custom mount so it should be right now. i try post a pic of what i do.

thanks all

waz

yea it appears it only has one set of mounts. i have mounted the box but i am having other problems now. is there different lengths of clutch cables? i have a ke55 coupe one and its too long for my car. on max extension it grabs way down low. anyone know whether it can be shorthened and what sort of place does this?

waz

Edited by handmade